Question about physics pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerDocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My schedule for next semester is getting all jumbled up b/c I'm a dance major and I just found out I'm having hip surgery before the summer is over--since I can't take any dance classes this fall, I figured I'd knock some more pre-reqs out of the way.

I'm trying to decide what physics to take--calc based or non-calc based. I'm leaning towards calc based just because I've already taken non-calc based in HS and I've heard really good things about the professor for the calc based course and it fits into my schedule alot better (and I've taken calculus). My only hesitation is that our calc-based course doesn't seem to have a lab component--it meets 3x/wk for 2 hours rather than 3x/wk for an hour + a 3 hr lab like the non-calc class. Would this still fulfill the physics pre-req?
Any strong opinions against taking the calc-based course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It basically boils down to this: If you're mathematically inclined, take calc-based. If not, don't. I think learning the calculus behind the material makes it much easier to apply, but if you're just looking for a formulaic plug-and-chug, get-it-out-of-the-way approach to physics, the "regular" physics will be better for you.

As for the credit thing, I'd talk to your school's registrar and contact a few med schools to see what they think.

If you can do derivatives and are good in Math then take calc based. I am excellent in Math, but I struggled with the theories in Calc based. Non-calc based physics is going to be a piece of cake because you don't have to find derivatives for everything. I find Calc-based physics is hard because of the theories, not so much the math

take calc based, it tends to be easier with less things to memorize bc you can derive them.. you should be able to take a lab too, sign up separetly for it? take the non calc based lab maybe? thats what i did