Question about Possible Bad Evaluator....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet1day

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to six veterinary schools this year as a second time applicant. I had six references write me recommendations. I knew five would write me an AWESOME letter and the sixth one I felt like I HAD to ask since I still worked for this vet and she wrote me one last year. Her and I don't always "jive" and I've been very nervous that she didn't write me a good reference. Are there any opinions from people either with just an opinion or previous experience on this issue as to what effect one bad reference would have on 5 that were amazing?

Thank you for your honest thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread on here the beginning of this year from someone who had gone to interviews and been informed that one of his evaluations was far less than stellar. Let me see if I can find it...
Edit: Here it is

I think if the other five are good, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd be prepared to explain it if they ask you about it.

For future reference, I wouldn't ask someone to write me a LOR if I didn't think it would be 100% positive and supportive of my cause. Not that you can change that, but if someone comes upon this thread next cycle, its out there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I applied to six veterinary schools this year as a second time applicant. I had six references write me recommendations. I knew five would write me an AWESOME letter and the sixth one I felt like I HAD to ask since I still worked for this vet and she wrote me one last year. Her and I don't always "jive" and I've been very nervous that she didn't write me a good reference. Are there any opinions from people either with just an opinion or previous experience on this issue as to what effect one bad reference would have on 5 that were amazing?

Thank you for your honest thoughts :)

I agree with Redhead. I don't think you should have felt at all obligated to use the one you weren't sure about. If it comes to it next year - hopefully it won't!!!!! - don't hesitate to not include a reference unless you're sure of their support for you.

One easy thing to do would be to talk to that person about their recommendation and bluntly ask how strongly supportive of your vet school endeavor they are.

I agree with Redhead. I don't think you should have felt at all obligated to use the one you weren't sure about. If it comes to it next year - hopefully it won't!!!!! - don't hesitate to not include a reference unless you're sure of their support for you.

One easy thing to do would be to talk to that person about their recommendation and bluntly ask how strongly supportive of your vet school endeavor they are.

I definitely did that this year. I had originally asked a professor for a letter and then ended up telling her I didn't need it. It wasn't that I thought it wasn't going to be a good recommendation, just that I thought it would be less awesome than the others. I also had 4 letters already, so I didn't feel like I really needed a fifth.

I also didn't ask the practice owner at the SA hospital I tech'd at to write me a rec even though I asked both her associates. She literally told me I wouldn't get into vet school without her rec, but I didn't ask her for one anyways. Her recommendation would have been based on whatever whim she was feeling that day. Either it would have been amazing or really terrible. I didn't want to take that risk.

Thank yall for all of the input. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I will get in this year!! Fingers crossed! Yea, I just haven't jived well with her but she still entrusts me to farm-sit for her monthly. She seemed encouraging nearer my application deadline to me going to vet school, but we still don't have the same work ethic at all which is frustrating for both me and her. I had pushed it in the back of my head until today when she said she wanted to talk about our collective best interests and maybe I should move to a different department ( I work at a vet school.) ....so yea....

Hate to burst your bubble but I had 4 stellar letters and one bad one from a veterinarian that I "thought" I had a decent relationship with. I even had a veterinarian from the same practice as that one write me a letter. After only getting wait-listed after what I thought and my interviewers told me was a great interview I was really confused. So I had a file review and I kid you not was told the only reason I wasn't in vet school was ONE bad letter. I even said even though I'd had other great letters?

They look for ONE reason all they need is someone to put a doubt in their mind. I posted my story under an alter last year but I've now left that job I can post about it under my actual account.

Do you mind me asking what school that was?

I was burned by a bad letter as well - granted it was only out of three and I had other issues with my app, but it definitely does matter.

Hopefully it's a good letter anyway (hard to know for sure) but if it comes down to it again, try your best to have like four GLOWING reccs rather than six, where one or two might be 'meh' - you want these people arguing for you, telling the adcoms just how awesome they think you are.

Twelvetigers: Thanks for your story/thoughts! Question- did you not get into OKState your first time with the letter? Or did they waitlist you and then let you in? Thanks!!! :)

One bad letter is enough to burn you. Simple as that. With competition being as tight as it is, admission committees are looking for things to distinguish you from other applicants. A bad reference letter is a red flag.

Twelvetigers: Thanks for your story/thoughts! Question- did you not get into OKState your first time with the letter? Or did they waitlist you and then let you in? Thanks!!! :)

I didn't get in that year. I applied again with some better things going for me, one of which being a couple different eLORs than the previous time.

When you already have five letters, a sixth can't really help you even if it's awesome (unless it's from some major/unique experience that you're basing the rest of your application on). It can definitely hurt, though, so I'd err on the side of caution.

I had what I thought would be a great internship over the summer working with wolves, but what made it not a very good experience was my boss. I asked him to write me a recommendation because it was truly a unique experience, but I am very afraid that he wrote me a bad one. I talked about my struggle with him in one of my essays, so I am hoping if he did write a bad eval, they will see it more as like adding to my reasoning that he made my internship a bad experience.

It was my Instate school.

Looking back on the other interviews (OOS) I had and the questions I was ask they were almost all based off that letter.

NEVER ask anyone that you're doubtful about. I wasn't even really doubtful about the doctor I asked so tread cautiously.