question about post-match contact

Started by Weirdo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Weirdo

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is 1 program that told me they ranked me to match and that I truly loved but couldn't rank them higher due to various personal reasons. I never told them how I'd rank them specifically but was definitely very enthusiastic with them b/c I really was interested in the program. I'd definitely like to keep the door open for fellowship later on, so should I brief email thanking the PD again and mentioning any of this or would it just be annoying and pretentious? Maybe this happens all the time, and I should just let it alone...
 
Last edited:
There is 1 program that told me they ranked me to match and that I truly loved but couldn't rank them higher due to various personal reasons. I never told them how I'd rank them specifically but was definitely very enthusiastic with them b/c I really was interested in the program. I'd definitely like to keep the door open for fellowship later on, so should I brief email thanking the PD again and mentioning any of this or would it just be annoying and pretentious? Maybe this happens all the time, and I should just let it alone...

I would leave it alone, sometimes too much explanation only makes things worse.....
 
I would leave it alone, sometimes too much explanation only makes things worse.....

Yeah, I'd agree. Unless you had explicitly told them you were ranking them number 1 and then changed your mind. I know of a situation like this where the program director recieved an explanatory email from the candidate, and it was appreciated.

Its a fine line. If they ranked you to match they'll likely send you some sort of questionare asking why you didn't chose them.

DBH
 
Last edited: