question about program selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subrato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going through ERAS selecting all my programs and I had a few questions which I couldn't find an answer to anywhere. I've seen a few programs that are classified "rural dermatology"; are these programs majorly different from non-rural derm? I literally can't find anything about them.

Also, Largo and Case Western have "osteopathic recognition" labels on them. I'm in an MD program, and it allows me to select these programs. Can MDs go to these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Going through ERAS selecting all my programs and I had a few questions which I couldn't find an answer to anywhere. I've seen a few programs that are classified "rural dermatology"; are these programs majorly different from non-rural derm? I literally can't find anything about them.

Also, Largo and Case Western have "osteopathic recognition" labels on them. I'm in an MD program, and it allows me to select these programs. Can MDs go to these programs?

Unfortunately I've been out of the game too long to help

I would ask a recently matched student or even students your year as those terms (rural vs non rural) are not ones I encountered during my match

As far as osteopathic programs go, I was under the impression the ACGME has merged all those but I don't know if that allows MD applicants to apply to those programs now

MD may apply to programs with "Osteopathic Recognition" However, at this point, it is unclear what the "Prerequisite Competencies" are as they have not yet being published by the ACGME Osteopathic Principal Committee. Each of the two programs may have specific requirement. It is also my understanding that Case Western program has 2 "tracks". A portion of the positions are for straight MDs and few positions are for the DO tracking the "Osteopathic Recognition" Although, an MD may also be tracked for OR if the "Prerequisite Competencies" are met.

You may want to check with Largo and Case Western to see if they have OR "Prerequisite Competencies".

In case you are unaware, there are several DO programs are already listed under the MD program listings. As recently as last year, they are exclusive DO residency. The doors are wide open for MD applicants now.

AZ Mesa Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences-GME Consortium (KCU-GMEC) Mesa Program
FL Fort Lauderdale Broward Health Medical Center Program
MI Ypsilanti St Joseph Mercy Livingston Program
OH Cuyahoga Falls Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences-GME Consortium (KCU-GMEC) Cuyahoga Falls Program
FL Maitland Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences-GME Consortium (KCU-GME Consortium)/ADCS-Orlando Program

The programs below are fully ACGME accredited derm program participating in only the DO match. However, they can accept MD residents if they choose to. These are the hidden opportunities. Since these programs have no "Osteopathic Recognition", they cannot prohibit MD applicants from being considered.

MI Trenton SCS/MSUCOM/Oakwood Healthcare System Osteo Div Program
MI Farmington Hills SCS/MSUCOM/Botsford Hospital Program
PA Allentown PCOM/Lehigh Valley Health Network Program
OR Salem Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr/Silver Falls Dermatology Program

I am sure the above information will useful to some resourceful MD applicants interested in the Ex-DO opportunities. Just 3 years into the merger, there are 10% increase in the number of programs available to MDs and 50% reduction in opportunities for DO applicants.

Reactions: 1 user