question about rabies vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
when i was working at my vet hospital over this past summer, i got bitten by a stray kitten, and the doctors told me to get the vaccine in case the kitten was rabies positive (the kitten had to put down and ended up being negative for rabies)

i got the 3 immunoglobulin + 1 rabies shot the first time, and got the next 2(?) shots before coming back to school in Philly. When i came to Philly, i just had to get the last shot, and tried to get it through student health services. when i told them my situation, they told me that because there was a shortage of the vaccine and i wasn't an urgent case (i.e. not a vet student, or in dire need of the vaccine) they wouldn't allow me to come in and get the vaccine.

my question is, since i didn't get the last shot, do i need to get the whole installment of shots all over again (minus the immunoglobulin?) i'm just wondering for future reference, since in case i need to be vaccinated again before going to vet school.

also, should i worry about it, in case i get bitten at work again by an animal with that is questionable?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The pre-exposure vaccine involves 3 shots of the vaccine, the post exposure is 5 shots.

I would talk to your doctors. Maybe you can just get a titer done, and if its adequate you should be good.

yeah so i think i got all of them except the very last one.

I think a titer is your best bet, it will tell you where you stand and whether or not you need additional vaccinations.