Question about ranking with a supplemental list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sea_Bass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm making my ROL tonight, and I came across something I couldn't figure out...

I've applied to a specialty that requires a prelim/transitional year. Let's say it's radiology. Here's what happened:

On the NRMP website, I go to add Radiology at program X to my ROL. It's my #1 choice.

Program X also has a transitional year for which I interviewed, and I'd love to match to their TY program as well, so I create a supplemental list to add TY at Program X to radiology at Program X.

The weird thing is there's 2 options for TY: just a stand alone "transitional" program and a "transitional/radiology" program. Each has a unique NRMP program code, and in looking at my ERAS account, I apparently applied to both last fall. Is there a way to know which is the one is the one that I should rank?

I suppose I could rank them both, but I'd still feel better knowing which is the right one. I have emailed the PC about it, but I don't anticipate hearing back as they're not great with communication.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like they have transitional year spots reserved for radiology and others open to anyone.

This is somewhat similar to one of the neuro programs that I'm ranking. I didn't have to apply separately to their prelim-IM program, but in order to get the spot, we rank it anyways as 4 spots are reserved for their neuro candidates.

Just rank them in either order. You applied for the general transitional year as well as the transitional/radiology year that is reserved for incoming PGY-2 residents. If you're supposed to match to that transitional year, you will. Might take up one additional spot on your supplemental list but who cares.