question about receiving secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringphysician190

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! quick question about receiving secondaries timeline... do schools send out secondaries to applicants in any particular order? do they do them in batches based on when applicants' primaries were verified? just curious. had some friends receive secondaries this morning from schools we both applied to but I did not receive them yet. their primary apps were verified a few days or so before mine and I am curious if that had something to do with it. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. Some send it out automatically when they receive your app and others screen (it might be a quick screen of your mcat/GPA or more detailed). Also keep in mind that while transmission happened today, there will be variations on what time exactly your app reaches the med school from AMCAS and how long it takes it to go through the med schools system due to the mass amount of data (think of it like a river of information). If the school doesn’t screen you will likely receive your secondary, but the time will vary a bit. The day’s early so you shouldn’t worry.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have a random question, it may be dumb, but why is it important to submit secondaries early for someone who hasn't taken the MCAT yet? I'm taking my MCAT mid August which means my medical school application won't be marked "complete" nor would they start reviewing my app until scores are received ~sept 1 I have received a few secondaries so far and my application is verified but I don't get why I shouldn't wait to take the mcat to write/submit my secondaries.

Hi, I have a random question, it may be dumb, but why is it important to submit secondaries early for someone who hasn't taken the MCAT yet? I'm taking my MCAT mid August which means my medical school application won't be marked "complete" nor would they start reviewing my app until scores are received ~sept 1 I have received a few secondaries so far and my application is verified but I don't get why I shouldn't wait to take the mcat to write/submit my secondaries.
It's a premed delusion that you can have to have your app in as early as possible.

Submitting secondaries without an MCAT score is insanity.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically clueless.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a premed delusion that you can have to have your app in as early as possible.

Submitting secondaries without an MCAT score is insanity.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically clueless.
EXCEPT - this year, some schools, like the CA schools, have specifically instructed applicants to NOT wait for scores that have been delayed due to COVID, and that, while admission decisions will not be made without them, IIs very well might be issued without them. In that case, assuming someone is reasonably comfortable with how they are doing in practice, waiting for a score when everything else is ready to go might actually be insanity, since it might just cost someone on the bubble an opportunity to interview.

If this were not the case, why would the CA (and other) schools be doing this???? They are doing it so that they don't get slammed with a bunch of applications in the middle of October, which will totally screw up their workflow. Assuming applicants follow direction from the schools themselves rather than us here, IIs will have gone to people with otherwise excellent applications who insanely submitted secondaries without a score while people taking advice here are still patiently waiting, and who will by definition be competing for fewer slots when their secondaries are finally received.

Of course, it is ALWAYS better to have a MCAT score before applying. However, this year, under these unique circumstances, it might be worth taking the risk of following the specific guidance provided by certain schools, and accepting the possibility of maybe being a reapplicant, if someone has an otherwise excellent application and a reasonable expectation of receiving a score in line with the school's requirements, in order to maybe receive an II in August as an alternative to waiting for a score to be released in September or October.

This is just the opinion of an inexperienced premed who has been following this obsessively for around a year who is not burdened by the experience of how things have always worked for the past half century. YMMV. :)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Ahhhhhh!

Ok, so basically I had some communications with schools that make me EXTREMELY concerned that I might not be getting secondaries to the email I used. Never had issues (not even the last time I applied), both with med schools and just in general. Should I just change my email in the AAMC Profile and resubmit or should I individually email the school?

I HAVE gotten messages inviting me to do secondaries like Wayne State and Rowan (Cooper) but Arizona sent me one and I never got it (I searched my junk folder, POP folder, email overall, etc).

Thank you SOOOO much for any help!