Question about reference letters

Started by 1ive2die
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1ive2die

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do reference letters specifically have to mention your suitability as a pharmacist or can they be a general statement about your work ethic, skills, and values, etc?

I am asking because if you use a professor or employer as a reference, unless they are a pharmacist, they wouldn't be able to comment on your suitability as a pharmacist.
 
Do reference letters specifically have to mention your suitability as a pharmacist or can they be a general statement about your work ethic, skills, and values, etc?

I am asking because if you use a professor or employer as a reference, unless they are a pharmacist, they wouldn't be able to comment on your suitability as a pharmacist.

I'd lean towards the latter. I think they're interested in the work ethic you've demonstrated and your potential for future growth. Personally, I didn't have any letters from a pharmacist ... Having one from a pharmacist would most likely be a plus since the pharmacist understands the process and can point out characteristics you exhibit that would be suitable for pharmacy school.