SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question about relocating

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by Erica, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Erica

    Erica 2+ Year Member

    Feb 23, 2007
    So perhaps I'm naive, but I have never moved out of state, as I will be doing soon! A few questions for anyone who has experienced this or just knows:
    --Do I need to switch my state residency to the new state, or can I keep my residency in my current state with my parent's address since I will be a student?
    --Do I need a driver's license of the new state?
    --Can I keep my car insurance from my state?
    --What about car registration?

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AndrewJ42

    AndrewJ42 Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 2, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    simple answer is...yes you can keep your current residency status...for car insurance, you can keep your insurance but you may want to notify that you will be a student in another state. if you want to take up residency in the state you're going to you may find it hard as a student you may not qualify.
  4. Erica

    Erica 2+ Year Member

    Feb 23, 2007
    Fabulous! Thank you!
  5. seabreeze811

    seabreeze811 10+ Year Member

    Sep 8, 2004
    no u dont need to switch state residency unless you plan to live there permanently.

    it depends on the state if it requires you to get a new driver's license. but when i moved out to maryland, i got a visitor's permit that lasted for a year. i kept my car insurance, that should be fine. and i kept my state's registration.

    i used an auto-transport service to move my car from cali to east coast.

    good luck!!!
  6. namazu

    namazu Member 5+ Year Member

    Apr 17, 2005
    If the car is registered in your name (rather than your parents') and you are planning to stay in the new state even during school breaks, etc., the insurance company might not be too happy if they found out you didn't inform them of your new location. (Also, is there a chance insurance at the new place might be cheaper?) However, to change your insurance you usually need to switch the registration to the new state and get a license in the new state.

    Certainly, many students go for years without registering or getting a license in the new state. (Same as for voting.) And if it's a 1-year MPH you should be fine keeping things as-is. But if you're going to hang around for more than a year or two, it might be wise to take care of the registration hassles sooner rather than later.

    Gosh, moving can be a pain!
  7. Coclean

    Coclean Field Rat 5+ Year Member

    Oct 24, 2006
    Considering changing only if you think the state yu are moving to is better in terms of residency for future education...for example....moving to California then you mihgt want to change it if you want to go to medical school later because there are more public med schools there than anywhere else...etc.

Share This Page