Question about relocating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So perhaps I'm naive, but I have never moved out of state, as I will be doing soon! A few questions for anyone who has experienced this or just knows:
--Do I need to switch my state residency to the new state, or can I keep my residency in my current state with my parent's address since I will be a student?
--Do I need a driver's license of the new state?
--Can I keep my car insurance from my state?
--What about car registration?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

simple answer is...yes you can keep your current residency status...for car insurance, you can keep your insurance but you may want to notify that you will be a student in another state. if you want to take up residency in the state you're going to you may find it hard as a student you may not qualify.

simple answer is...yes you can keep your current residency status...for car insurance, you can keep your insurance but you may want to notify that you will be a student in another state. if you want to take up residency in the state you're going to you may find it hard as a student you may not qualify.

Fabulous! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
So perhaps I'm naive, but I have never moved out of state, as I will be doing soon! A few questions for anyone who has experienced this or just knows:
--Do I need to switch my state residency to the new state, or can I keep my residency in my current state with my parent's address since I will be a student?
--Do I need a driver's license of the new state?
--Can I keep my car insurance from my state?
--What about car registration?

Thanks!

no u dont need to switch state residency unless you plan to live there permanently.

it depends on the state if it requires you to get a new driver's license. but when i moved out to maryland, i got a visitor's permit that lasted for a year. i kept my car insurance, that should be fine. and i kept my state's registration.

i used an auto-transport service to move my car from cali to east coast.

good luck!!!

If the car is registered in your name (rather than your parents') and you are planning to stay in the new state even during school breaks, etc., the insurance company might not be too happy if they found out you didn't inform them of your new location. (Also, is there a chance insurance at the new place might be cheaper?) However, to change your insurance you usually need to switch the registration to the new state and get a license in the new state.

Certainly, many students go for years without registering or getting a license in the new state. (Same as for voting.) And if it's a 1-year MPH you should be fine keeping things as-is. But if you're going to hang around for more than a year or two, it might be wise to take care of the registration hassles sooner rather than later.

Gosh, moving can be a pain!

Considering changing only if you think the state yu are moving to is better in terms of residency for future education...for example....moving to California then you mihgt want to change it if you want to go to medical school later because there are more public med schools there than anywhere else...etc.