Question about required classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoodLife570

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm currently studying for pre-med but I just shadowed a dentist and I found it very interesting. I havent decided exactly what I would like to do but I have researched a few dental schools that interest me.

I am close to completing my degree in business and I noticed that a lot of the dental schools require Microbiology, physiology, and biochem. Next to the credit number on the school website was a 3 and next to the others was a 4.
Does this mean that the lab is not required for the class?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm currently studying for pre-med but I just shadowed a dentist and I found it very interesting. I havent decided exactly what I would like to do but I have researched a few dental schools that interest me.

I am close to completing my degree in business and I noticed that a lot of the dental schools require Microbiology, physiology, and biochem. Next to the credit number on the school website was a 3 and next to the others was a 4.
Does this mean that the lab is not required for the class?

Thanks for any help!

3 would usually mean no lab; 4 usually requires a lab. Biochem is one that would usually not require a lab. Link to specific examples if you'd like. But if a lab is not expressly stated and it has a 4, I'd check with the school to be positive.

I noticed that while looking at requirements, most schools did NOT require lab with Biochem...however a lab was required for the most part for Micro. Some schools were indifferent on the physiology course needing an accompanying lab. I would just contact each school you would be interested in applying to. Although the information seems clear online, sometimes it is easier to confirm with a human over the phone at least to make sure you have the right requirements. :)