Question about required LoR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PhoenixRising18

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm looking at requirements for letters of recommendation, particularly for DO schools, and I see at least a few that require (if no premed letter) three faculty letters of recommendation. Now, I am having a premed advisor send in the packet, so maybe I don't even need to worry about this, but I'm also sending in as a part of the packet two LoR's from science faculty, 1 assistant dean (doesn't teach classes, doesn't have doctorate), 1 volunteer coordinator, my fraternity advisor (who is staff at the university I'm at, but also not a teacher/faculty member), and one of the science faculty letters is also my research advisor.

If I'm reading things right, that means I only have two faculty letters. Do I have any risk of getting screened out for not having a third, non-science faculty letter? How does this all work? I don't really know any non-science faculty members well enough to have them write me a letter.
 
It sounds to me like you fulfill the base letter requirements (you have 2 science faculty letters, a dean's letter and a PI letter). Most programs would even count the dean's letter as the premed letter.

Now you just need a physician's letter as most DO programs require one. You be best shadowing a DO and getting a letter from them, as half the DO programs either require or strongly recommend a DO letter.
 
Last edited: