Question about research for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxicmegacologne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a 3rd year medical student.

I was wondering how much research is necessary for IM residency?

Right now I have a summer of research (+ poster & maybe a pub) and a book chapter published. I know this is minimal, but I was wondering if it counted for anything significant.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I have a summer of research (+ poster & maybe a pub) and a book chapter published. I know this is minimal, but I was wondering if it counted for anything significant.

Thanks

To get into a top academic IM residency and thus a chance for a top academic fellowship and thus a chance to be a top academician and leader in the field , i would say it’s required .

To get into any mid to lower tier IM residency it is not required at all.

Note if you’re in a top med school affiliated wi a top university medical center , you will get plenty of chances to do meaningful research .

If you’re in a mid to lower tier med school and you are set on :
1) private practice - then not so required now .
2) academic medicine / leader in the field - then better get going with more research

To get into a top academic IM residency and thus a chance for a top academic fellowship and thus a chance to be a top academician and leader in the field , i would say it’s required .

To get into any mid to lower tier IM residency it is not required at all.

Note if you’re in a top med school affiliated wi a top university medical center , you will get plenty of chances to do meaningful research .

If you’re in a mid to lower tier med school and you are set on :
1) private practice - then not so required now .
2) academic medicine / leader in the field - then better get going with more research

Just a side unrelated question about research for fellowships:

If you want to do nephrology without any nephrology related research (just 1-2 basic science pubs in college/med school), would you still be able to match into a top position (NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Mt Sinai) with below average board scores given how uncompetitive nephrology is?

Members don't see this ad :)

If you want to do nephrology without any nephrology related research (just 1-2 basic science pubs in college/med school), would you still be able to match into a top position (NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Mt Sinai) with below average board scores given how uncompetitive nephrology is?

All the top nephrology programs are clearly within a few miles of each other.

There is competition at the top for all specialties. If you go to a top IM program, then matching into a top nephrology program without research may be doable. However, I would imagine you'll need to demonstrate some research productivity/interest to match at the places you mentioned given competitive geography.

Reactions: 1 user

The top renal programs in nyc are IMG/FMG filled anyway . You can check their rosters on their program websites .
Nothing against ING/FmG but If you’re an ANG who wants renal you just need a Pulse

Thanks
Do you want to be a researcher? If not, then focus on doing well in school and forget about it. Also for IM residency for a USMD, just do well on Steps and clinical clerkships and virtually any “top” (ie research heavy) program is within reach.

All the top nephrology programs are clearly within a few miles of each other.

There is competition at the top for all specialties. If you go to a top IM program, then matching into a top nephrology program without research may be doable. However, I would imagine you'll need to demonstrate some research productivity/interest to match at the places you mentioned given competitive geography.

Thanks, I do hope to get some research in. So far I am hoping to get another report published but unfortunately it is not in the field of nephro.

Also, how is an image report publication viewed in terms of research prestige?

The top renal programs in nyc are IMG/FMG filled anyway . You can check their rosters on their program websites .
Nothing against ING/FmG but If you’re an ANG who wants renal you just need a Pulse

Appreciate your feedback. That was my first impression, but I am guessing they have significant amount of research.

Do you think I could still match as an AMG with STEP 1 220s & STEP 2 240s if I only applied to 6 programs? (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, Hofstra Northwell, Winthrop).

I am pretty regional focused so I am not sure if my lack of nephrology research would prohibit me from matching. So far only have pubs from med school in unrelated fields in basic sciences.

Last edited:
Appreciate your feedback. That was my first impression, but I am guessing they have significant amount of research.

Do you think I could still match as an AMG with STEP 1 220s & STEP 2 240s if I only applied to 6 programs? (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, Hofstra Northwell, Winthrop).

I am pretty regional focused so I am not sure if my lack of nephrology research would prohibit me from matching. So far only have pubs from med school in unrelated fields in basic sciences.

Some research is good but honestly I know at least one fellow among those programs you listed who is a total swing and a miss

Id encourage you to apply more broadly than that - I suspect columbia/cornell/nyu/mt sinai are off the table most likely with those step scores or at best maybe a reach. However, I'm not familiar with the other two programs. Speaking generally, the top IM programs are extremely competitive. It is not necessarily about research or board scores but the whole picture. Probably need to have 2 of 1) Step1 and 2ck >240 2)Top 30 med school, 3)AOA, 4)significant research, 5) PhD to have a shot, with top 30 school or preferably top 10 being the most helpful in order to get to a "top" program. If you aren't from a top school, you really need to honors your IM rotation. With that said - there are a lot of great programs that you will be competitive for. I suspect you don't need to go to a top program to get a great fellowship. In general, unless your goal is to be research-focused being at a top academic institution is less necessary. Good luck with everything.

Id encourage you to apply more broadly than that - I suspect columbia/cornell/nyu/mt sinai are off the table most likely with those step scores or at best maybe a reach. However, I'm not familiar with the other two programs. Speaking generally, the top IM programs are extremely competitive. It is not necessarily about research or board scores but the whole picture. Probably need to have 2 of 1) Step1 and 2ck >240 2)Top 30 med school, 3)AOA, 4)significant research, 5) PhD to have a shot, with top 30 school or preferably top 10 being the most helpful in order to get to a "top" program. If you aren't from a top school, you really need to honors your IM rotation. With that said - there are a lot of great programs that you will be competitive for. I suspect you don't need to go to a top program to get a great fellowship. In general, unless your goal is to be research-focused being at a top academic institution is less necessary. Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the reply, I am actually an IM resident (not OP) at a mid tier residency program. The question I had was what are my chances my application with the scores / minimal research to match me at one of the 6 nephrology programs mentioned above