Question about residency and admission

Started by CHxyz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CHxyz

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I have talked to a few doctors about caribbean medican schools and they all said that since caribbean medical school students are consider foreign students it is really hard for them to get residency. Seemed like only 1-2% get accepted to residency program here in the US and there's no point of getting medical license if you can't get residency. One of the doctor claimed that he knew a caribbean graduate that can't find residency for over a few years after he/she graduated. They all strongly advice me not to go there. I know this topic have probably been talked about here a lot, but can some one tell me what are the chances of getting residency here in the US if you graduate from a caribbean medical school? Have anyone or anyone they know who graduated from caribbean school and find it hard to find residency here in the US after they graduated? I find it hard to believe that residency programs would be hard for caribbean graduates, especially when I know there are an increase number of people applying there, some even prefering it over DO. I am interested in schools like SGU, Ross, AUC, SABA, and St. Mathews and also if I graduated, I am interested in practicing in CA.

Also, can someone tell me my chances of being accepted with my stats listed below?

Undergrad GPA 2.55
Graduate GPA 3.88 (Master of Science)
MCAT 24 and 25

Thanks beforehand!!!
 
First of all it is harder for foreign medical graduates to attain a residency in comparison to a US grad (obviously) But in actuality most carib grads do match eventually and most match on the first try (usually into INternal, family practice, and psych.) If you are a foreign medical grad that is a US citizen it shouldnt be a hassle, you just may not match into the residency program that you were pursuing. On the otherhand if you are a foreign medical graduate that does not have US citizenship than you may encounter servere difficulties. All US foreign grads I know have eventually matched. I also know some non us citizens that passed the boards but did not match. The name of the game is perseverance and toleration. Now in regards to your stats, your undergrad GPA is low but the drastic changes that you made during your masters will override the prior performance. The fact that your MCAT scores are over 20 will also help. I dont think that you should have any trouble getting into a carib med school. MAke sure you have strong reccomendations and be sure to list all of your extra cirriculars and any research that you may have done. Good Luck
 
CHxyz said:
Hi,
I have talked to a few doctors about caribbean medican schools and they all said that since caribbean medical school students are consider foreign students it is really hard for them to get residency. Seemed like only 1-2% get accepted to residency program here in the US and there's no point of getting medical license if you can't get residency. One of the doctor claimed that he knew a caribbean graduate that can't find residency for over a few years after he/she graduated. They all strongly advice me not to go there. I know this topic have probably been talked about here a lot, but can some one tell me what are the chances of getting residency here in the US if you graduate from a caribbean medical school? Have anyone or anyone they know who graduated from caribbean school and find it hard to find residency here in the US after they graduated? I find it hard to believe that residency programs would be hard for caribbean graduates, especially when I know there are an increase number of people applying there, some even prefering it over DO. I am interested in schools like SGU, Ross, AUC, SABA, and St. Mathews and also if I graduated, I am interested in practicing in CA.

Also, can someone tell me my chances of being accepted with my stats listed below?

Undergrad GPA 2.55
Graduate GPA 3.88 (Master of Science)
MCAT 24 and 25

Thanks beforehand!!!

Sounds like the people you've spoken to are rather misinformed. Sure its harder in a relative sense compared to US grads to get residencies but certainly by no means that difficult especially if you do well etc.. I go to SGU and if you check out their residency placement lists on their home page your mind should be put at ease. I've also seen other placement lists from Ross and AUC and they are good too. The last figure that sticks in my mind about the % of sgu grads who get residencies is over 99%. While most carib students go into primary care residencies this also applies to US students. If you go down to the caribbean (assuming its a decent school) do well and pass the boards etc.. you'll get a residency somewhere. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks Dukes and DocBarry,
That makes me feel so much better. I am indeed an US citizen and actually internal, family practice and psychiatry are some of the fields I am considering. I was wondering, is it alright if I do residency in another state and use it to apply for licensing in CA? I do not necessary need to practice in CA, but the way I figure, if you can get in CA, you can pretty much get in any where. Thanks!!!
 
Also, I was wondering, which school have a better match percentage? I dont want to discuss which school is better, I just want to prioritize my selections. I am sure any school is good if you work hard in it. I am currently going to apply to the 5 schools I listed, do I have a chance with my stat? thanks again!!!
 
CHxyz said:
Also, I was wondering, which school have a better match percentage? I dont want to discuss which school is better, I just want to prioritize my selections. I am sure any school is good if you work hard in it. I am currently going to apply to the 5 schools I listed, do I have a chance with my stat? thanks again!!!

The general consensus seems to be SGU > Ross > AUC > everyone else. Having said that, I'm sure there are other views out there about this.

If you're looking for encouragement, I do think you have a good chance with your stats. The best way is to find out is to just apply.
 
CHxyz said:
Hi,
I have talked to a few doctors about caribbean medican schools and they all said that since caribbean medical school students are consider foreign students it is really hard for them to get residency. Seemed like only 1-2% get accepted to residency program here in the US and there's no point of getting medical license if you can't get residency. One of the doctor claimed that he knew a caribbean graduate that can't find residency for over a few years after he/she graduated. They all strongly advice me not to go there. I know this topic have probably been talked about here a lot, but can some one tell me what are the chances of getting residency here in the US if you graduate from a caribbean medical school? Have anyone or anyone they know who graduated from caribbean school and find it hard to find residency here in the US after they graduated? I find it hard to believe that residency programs would be hard for caribbean graduates, especially when I know there are an increase number of people applying there, some even prefering it over DO. I am interested in schools like SGU, Ross, AUC, SABA, and St. Mathews and also if I graduated, I am interested in practicing in CA.

Also, can someone tell me my chances of being accepted with my stats listed below?

Undergrad GPA 2.55
Graduate GPA 3.88 (Master of Science)
MCAT 24 and 25

Thanks beforehand!!!

Having participated in the residency selection process at an ACGME/MD program, I can tell you for a fact that there were selection policies in place which made it extremely difficult if not impossible for an FMG to be accepted. ( We required all FMG's to already have PGY-1 done in the US, even though we were a PGY 1-3 program. ) DWP
 
DWP DO said:
Having participated in the residency selection process at an ACGME/MD program, I can tell you for a fact that there were selection policies in place which made it extremely difficult if not impossible for an FMG to be accepted. ( We required all FMG's to already have PGY-1 done in the US, even though we were a PGY 1-3 program. ) DWP

Please refrain from following advice from someone who obviously has no clue about the success of US citizen IMG's in garnering residency positions. Just take a look at the residency lists posted on some of the carribbean medical school websites and you can see for yourself that HUNDREDS of people have been successful in finding a residency. Don't listen to this hogwash. There are many successful residents here who went to caribbean med schools who prove this TROLL wrong.