Question about Retaking classes (DO - Osteopathic Schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just registered for classes for my last semester! I'm taking 4 Health Science classes (for my major) and Genetics. However, now I'm considering retaking my Gen. Chem. I class. I got a B- in it when I took it like my second semester. I've retaken several other chemistry classes (chemistry is not my strong point). My question is should I just take the Genetics class, or retake the chemistry class?

If it helps, I'm applying to DO schools, possible Dentistry schools down the line.
My cGPA is 3.7, and my current sGPA (I'm taking Bio II right now with an A-, so I'm assuming I'm going to get that grade) is 3.64. However, if I retake Gen. Chem. I and get an A then my sGPA will be 3.8. That's a pretty big increase, but I'm not sure what I should do.

Also, is it true that DO schools just look at your GPA using the most recent retaken class grade? Obviously they'll be able to see that I retook the classes, but do they really care all that much? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no point in retaking classes if your GPA is already 3.5+. Only retake when the grade is less than C+ and especially in pre-requisites. The minor bump will help you but not by a huge margin. You should focus on preparing for MCAT if you haven't taken it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no point in retaking classes if your GPA is already 3.5+. Only retake when the grade is less than C+ and especially in pre-requisites. The minor bump will help you but not by a huge margin. You should focus on preparing for MCAT if you haven't taken it.

Thanks for the advice; yeah I'm not sure re-taking it is even worth it. I took the MCAT last summer.

I don't think a B- is really worth retaking. I think success in upper level course work would be of more value. And plus, your GPA is already really high.

DO schools take your highest and most recent grade in a prerequisite when calculating your GPA. This winds up being a lot more forgiving than MD schools who I think average your grades if you repeat a course. That being said one grade of B- is really not going to hurt you, the minimum grades for DO schools are a C or better. Your overall GPA is very good.

You also need to do well on the MCAT, a score in the mid 20s with your GPA, you should be pretty competitive for most schools.