Question About RN & NP..Please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tylerc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
RN Questions:

1. Is it hard to become one??
2. what kind of math is involved?
3. Do they tach you all the math you need to know, or do they expect you to know it from High school?
4. Do you think you can live a comfortable life in Southern California just being an RN?
5. Are you able to go to a community college to become an RN?

NP Questions:

1How do you become an NP?
2. Is it hard to become an NP?
3 Is this job field very competitive?
4. do you have to attend a specila program to get in as you do a PA?
5. whats easier to become NP or a PA?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

NP Questions:

Thank you!

as a pa let me try these 2.

you don't have to attend a special program to get into pa school. you just have to meet all the prereqs for experience and courses, gre, and gpa.
there are direct entry programs now for both pa and np for those with a bs and no prior medical experience. some pa programs are harder than others to get into(U.wa, duke, etc) and some np programs are harder than others( ucsf, etc). it all depends where you apply.

RN Questions:

3. Do they tach you all the math you need to know, or do they expect you to know it from High school?
4. Do you think you can live a comfortable life in Southern California just being an RN?

NP Questions:

1How do you become an NP?
2. Is it hard to become an NP?
3 Is this job field very competitive?

Thank you!

www.google.com :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
RN Questions:

1. I didn't think it was hard. You do have to have a strong gpa to get accepted, where I applied if you didn't have a 3.8 or higher, forget about it. I think the hardest class I had to take, where I studied all the time, was A&P.
2. The math is very basic. Fractions, decimals, ratio and proportions, etc.
3. If you had high school algebra, you should be set. If not, you can take elementary algebra in college.
4. I have no idea.
5. Yes, you can go to either a community college and get your ADN, or go to a university to get a BSN.

Regarding RN education

1. No, it isn't hard. I think it should be harder, I'd like to see a lot more weeding out personally. It is becoming more competitive to get in because there are so few Professors of Nursing available to teach. Once in, it is arduous and petty, but not "hard."

2 & 3. I had to take college algebra as a pre req for my program. They didn't teach any math in my nsg program, they expected you to be proficient already. With that in mind, there was some coverage of drug calculations re: drams, etc that was new. The rest was application of functions one should already have had mastered.

4. I have no idea about cali.

5. yes

Once in, it is arduous and petty, but not "hard."
So true, unfortunately. :laugh:

I recently started a job in an ICU and am taking an online program called ECCO (Essentials of Critical Care Orientation) through the American Association of Critical Care Nurses. It's a GREAT program. I'm learning a ton, which is more than I can say for the RN-BSN program I've almost finished. :rolleyes:

So true, unfortunately. :laugh:

I recently started a job in an ICU and am taking an online program called ECCO (Essentials of Critical Care Orientation) through the American Association of Critical Care Nurses. It's a GREAT program. I'm learning a ton, which is more than I can say for the RN-BSN program I've almost finished. :rolleyes:

take the fccs(fundamental critical care support) course if offered at your facility. it's a great course for folks working in a critical care environment.

RN Questions:

1. I still have a couple semesters to go before finishing (if I finish), but I don't consider the material in nursing school hard. I consider nursing shcool to be alot of paperwork, poor teaching, a big demand on time, insane time constraints, and a challenge to put up with some instructors, especially nasty clinical instructors. You just have to get into a program, graduate, then take the licensing exam.

2. Just to put it in perspective, I have a BA in Economics (which in my program meant a lot of problem solving with calculus) and I've tutored nursing math for the past 2 years (started before entering nursing school).

Not hard for me, but it is a great source of stress for many nursing students. It's mostly using basic algebra to solve word problems. I believe most programs require a math test at least once per semester.

Eg, for pills and liquids, a typical math problem: Doctor orders 650mg of Tylenol, how many tablets do you give if the tablets contain 325mg per tablet. For IV problems, it's mostly about solving for time, rate, or volume, given the other two pieces of info. You can use algebra. Or if you use dimensional analysis like we learned in chemistry and physics, you'll be golden.

3. In my program, you have to learn the math on your own outside of class. However, some community colleges offer an optional dosage calculation class you can take for credit. In my program, you can also see the tutor or go to his weekly math workshop if you want.

4. I live in So Cal. I guess it all depends on how you define "comfortable," how much you want to work, expenses, lifestyle, etc. As far as I know, the RNs aren't hurting for money.

5. Yes. BSNs and ADNs take the same licensing exam, the NCLEX-RN. I read somewhere that most RNs are associate degree nurses. Last time I checked, the pay for bachelor vs assoicate differs by up to about $1/hr.

take the fccs(fundamental critical care support) course if offered at your facility. it's a great course for folks working in a critical care environment.
I was lucky enough to be rotating through a hospital where that was going on. My preceptor sent me to audit the class, and it was good stuff. Mostly review from didactic year, but in double-shot espresso form. Vent settings are no longer scary to me, so they did something right.