Question about rotations

Started by traitorman
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

traitorman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinion on rotations. Nova has a 6 month externship in Baltimore Maryland that I have heard really good things about. The only problem is that the commute in traffic could be 2+ hours one way from my home. I'm afraid that the roundtrip commute could be very taxing and affect my work, however, I feel the experience would be extremely beneficial.

Is it worth it to do this (granted, I get accepted)? Have any of you been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinion on rotations. Nova has a 6 month externship in Baltimore Maryland that I have heard really good things about. The only problem is that the commute in traffic could be 2+ hours one way from my home. I'm afraid that the roundtrip commute could be very taxing and affect my work, however, I feel the experience would be extremely beneficial.

Is it worth it to do this (granted, I get accepted)? Have any of you been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

Don't know where your hometown is, but I'm 32 miles from Baltimore birds-eye-view. Google Maps puts this as 41 minutes driving. I can say from experience it NEVER is this fast. The BW parkway is always congested and normally takes at least double that, sometimes more in rush hour. I could never do that on a daily basis. I'm going to Nova in a few weeks and have absolutely no clue about the way their rotations work per se, but my understanding from my interview and research is that you do 6 months in the clinics associated with the school/hospital, and 6 months of away.

http://optometry.nova.edu/od/externships/sites.html

I'm imagining you are referring to the VA medical center in Bethesda or the Katzen group in Towson (although I'm sure it's the latter-Bethesda is not close to Baltimore-Towson is about 10 minutes from Baltimore). Also worth noting that I'm pretty sure that all these externship sites are 3 months, since the one next to Bascom-Palmer clearly states that it is out of the norm being 6 months, so I doubt the one you are referring to is actually 6 months.