Question about rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traitorman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinion on rotations. Nova has a 6 month externship in Baltimore Maryland that I have heard really good things about. The only problem is that the commute in traffic could be 2+ hours one way from my home. I'm afraid that the roundtrip commute could be very taxing and affect my work, however, I feel the experience would be extremely beneficial.

Is it worth it to do this (granted, I get accepted)? Have any of you been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinion on rotations. Nova has a 6 month externship in Baltimore Maryland that I have heard really good things about. The only problem is that the commute in traffic could be 2+ hours one way from my home. I'm afraid that the roundtrip commute could be very taxing and affect my work, however, I feel the experience would be extremely beneficial.

Is it worth it to do this (granted, I get accepted)? Have any of you been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

Don't know where your hometown is, but I'm 32 miles from Baltimore birds-eye-view. Google Maps puts this as 41 minutes driving. I can say from experience it NEVER is this fast. The BW parkway is always congested and normally takes at least double that, sometimes more in rush hour. I could never do that on a daily basis. I'm going to Nova in a few weeks and have absolutely no clue about the way their rotations work per se, but my understanding from my interview and research is that you do 6 months in the clinics associated with the school/hospital, and 6 months of away.

http://optometry.nova.edu/od/externships/sites.html

I'm imagining you are referring to the VA medical center in Bethesda or the Katzen group in Towson (although I'm sure it's the latter-Bethesda is not close to Baltimore-Towson is about 10 minutes from Baltimore). Also worth noting that I'm pretty sure that all these externship sites are 3 months, since the one next to Bascom-Palmer clearly states that it is out of the norm being 6 months, so I doubt the one you are referring to is actually 6 months.