Question about RVU production based pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianmartin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my first year out of residency, working for a small rural hospital owned group. I work 0.75 FTE. I'm about to finish up my first year (where I had a straight salary of 150k) and then go into a production based pay model where I am compensated $45/rvu. The floor production requirement is 2500 RVU for me. At that rate, I will earn a gross income of $112,000.
Our scheduling is 20 and 30 min appointments, 8-5. I am scheduled for 20 patients a day and there are usually a few no shows, so I end up seeing around 16-18 patients a day. If I average 1.3 rvu per patient, thats 23 rvu/day and at 0.75 FTE, I should be able to hit my floor fairly easily, working around 130 clinic days a year (factoring in holidays, pto, etc). I can supplement my income by covering the hospital if I want to and I've looked at doing about 6 weeks per year of inpatient covering the small, but busy 10 bed unit. However it is not especially lucrative financially to do this.

What do you guys think? Am I being paid fairly?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my first year out of residency, working for a small rural hospital owned group. I work 0.75 FTE. I'm about to finish up my first year (where I had a straight salary of 150k) and then go into a production based pay model where I am compensated $45/rvu. The floor production requirement is 2500 RVU for me. At that rate, I will earn a gross income of $112,000.
Our scheduling is 20 and 30 min appointments, 8-5. I am scheduled for 20 patients a day and there are usually a few no shows, so I end up seeing around 16-18 patients a day. If I average 1.3 rvu per patient, thats 23 rvu/day and at 0.75 FTE, I should be able to hit my floor fairly easily, working around 130 clinic days a year (factoring in holidays, pto, etc). I can supplement my income by covering the hospital if I want to and I've looked at doing about 6 weeks per year of inpatient covering the small, but busy 10 bed unit. However it is not especially lucrative financially to do this.

The rvu reimbursement is about standard.

I’m about to start in a similar setting. I’ve got a guaranteed floor of 200k through the duration of my contract, but can earn above and beyond that with wRVU, hospital coverage and ED coverage.

What other benefits are you getting?

Members don't see this ad :)

After taxes that $112 would be about $85K. I could not even pay my alimony with that. Yikes. Why is your base not at least 180K? My RVU value is 54.27.

After taxes that $112 would be about $85K. I could not even pay my alimony with that. Yikes. Why is your base not at least 180K? My RVU value is 54.27.
Your RVU value is significantly above average

I suspect the base is low because he's not full time.

If we take that 150k and 0.75FTE, it works out to 200k for 1.0FTE which is about the average.

Your RVU value is significantly above average

I suspect the base is low because he's not full time.

If we take that 150k and 0.75FTE, it works out to 200k for 1.0FTE which is about the average.

OK. I wasn't getting that he wasn't full time. Not familiar with the "FTE" abbreviation. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL Sorry. I work in West Texas where no one else wants to be I guess. They really try hard to retain doctors here. Had no idea it was that much higher.
You're about $14 higher than mine. If we take the minimum I'm expected to hit after 1 year (5000), you're earning 70k more than I am. But I think living in West Texas about balances that out

Better than the East TX rate...I’m only getting $43 but can get as high as $47 if I hit milestones with patient care.
Every one that I know here in SC is getting 40 at base. Some places go up on that for hitting quality measures (like each quality measure you achieve increases the rvu reimbursement rate by $1 with a total of 15 possible quality measures), some increase the base after you have earned enough at the base rate to pay for all of the expenses of having you as a physician (my current job does this, as soon as I earn anything above around 5500 RVUs the rate goes up by about a third).

Dang. My rvu minimum is 312.12 per month or 3744 per year. Compiled per quarter. The quality bonus is separate for us that has 5 measures to be met and that is an additional $7600 per quarter. I work 10 12' s per month vs 20 8's in family practice.

Dang. My rvu minimum is 312.12 per month or 3744 per year. Compiled per quarter. The quality bonus is separate for us that has 5 measures to be met and that is an additional $7600 per quarter. I work 10 12' s per month vs 20 8's in family practice.
So you work 30 days a month?

rvu.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Northeast here, $45/RVU, base is 4667 RVU, no quality-based reimbursement (have to be up to date on documentation in order to receive bonus), moonlighting opportunities as outpt pays about $50/RVU

Some of the base salaries I’m seeing on recruiting emails seem pretty high - like $270-300K base for 4d work 16-18pt/d. Seems like a teaser - they/employer must be losing money on initial yr

Some of the base salaries I’m seeing on recruiting emails seem pretty high - like $270-300K base for 4d work 16-18pt/d. Seems like a teaser - they/employer must be losing money on initial yr

How many weeks vacation do you get?