Question about school reputations/perceptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marsala

Western C/O 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I am new to this forum. Have read a lot of the posts, but just joined today. This is my first time applying to vet schools, and I have an interview with Tuskegee. I am excited about it, and have been trying to research things, etc. and it seems like Tuskegee doesn't get as many applicants as other schools. I am just wondering why this is? What is it about the school that excludes it from one's criteria for schools to apply to? I can't seem to find much about it. There are rankings, but I question the validity of the rankings, as the schools don't all have cookie cutter programs, and the differences make it difficult to compare. But, there are schools that get 1000 applicants, 600 applicants, and it seems like Tuskegee only has 200-300. Why the difference?

I have asked the vets and vet students that I know, and nobody seems to know much. The vets seem to think that it as good a school as the others, and that there is no difference. Does anyone have any thoughts or insight? I hope I don't get flamed for this question, as I am being sincere. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

One of the factors may be that the school does not go through VMCAS but you have to submit a separate application. Alot of OOS students may not want to take the time to fill out a whole complete separate application. I tried to go online to see if they don't accept alot of OOS students or if they require the Biology GRE, but I can't find that information on their site. Those also might be contributing factors.

The school itself is probably very well run, I have heard alot of good things about it so I wouldn't read too much into it.

OH, and very little flaming goes on here, we are all prettly well laid back!!

Thanks for the reply. The separate app might be an issue, but then I would think that their preference (?) for OOS students would give OOS students more reason to apply there. According to the AAVMC chart (member and non-member schools) they accept 4 IS, 15 contract, and 41 OOS. That's a lot of OOS students! But maybe it is just the app, or the fact that their website needs a little work...

I attached the chart (hope I did it right!).

Attachments

• AAVMCMemberSchoolChartupdated2008_000.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 146
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm . . interesting . . well, I guess you can always be grateful, your odds are much better for being accepted!

My state has a contract with Tuskegee but yet I didn't apply there. It's just simply not a school that I could see myself succeeding at for various reasons.

maybe it's just the fact that it's in alabama. hahaha, i kid. it could be that people elect for auburn instead as it is also in alabama... who knows. thanks for pointing out those acceptance stats though because i don't have a state school, so it was surprising to me that so many oos people are accepted! :)

Lol, I thought it was because it was Alabama, too. There are a couple things I considered: size of the town (12,000 ppl), so it isn't like there would be a ton to do. Even so, with so many OOS spots, and the fact that OOS tuition is $12k/yr (a relative bargain)...is it just because it is a HBC? I personally am not bothered by this, but would becoming the minority (of sorts) be too much for some people? Does anyone out there know any Tuskegee grads?

I have two friends that are attending there currently, and they seem to love it. As long as you like warm weather, there is no reason you shouldn't apply. A vet school is a vet school. Maybe people don't apply there as much because they don't like the location or something? I know I prefer colder climates :)

When I was applying a couple years ago, it was very difficult to even find information on the school, much less find the application. I did get to see the school at the last SAVMA and it's a very pretty school and the students there seemed to be very knowledgeable FWIW.

I appreciate all of the answers so far! I do like warm weather, so definitely a plus (for all of you applying to Purdue-where I am currently-the winters SUCK!). Like I said before, I have an interview there, and am excited that I actually got an interview. I am just trying to figure things out and get info about the school, because like others have said, there isn't much info out there.

my state contracts with them but I didn't apply. It seems like a good school, but I really don't want to live in Alabama or any place in the south for that matter (sorry southerners). Just not my type of atmosphere. I think it's most likely a location preference issue in general for many.

I have been told great things about Tuskegee. At the hospital I volunteer for, one of the vet.s graduated from Tuskegee about two years ago. She is an excellent vet. I see her practice when I am at the clinic, but I am mostly out in the field with the large animal vet, and she is great!

My state has a contract with Tuskegee, but I'm not planning to apply. For one thing, it was so hard to find information even about basic stuff like their prereqs that I decided that I'd rather allocate my time to other schools, at least for my first (and hopefully only!) application cycle. I've also heard that they're not as well funded as Auburn, so the facilities and equipment aren't as modern (someone even told me that they just acquired an ultrasound machine this past year, but I highly doubt that's true). However, as was said before, a vet school's a vet school and it probably just comes down to personal preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually wanted to apply there but I didn't have all the prerequisites that they want.. I don't remember on top of my head but there were at least 3 classes that I had to take if I wanted to apply.

I've also heard that they're not as well funded as Auburn, so the facilities and equipment aren't as modern (someone even told me that they just acquired an ultrasound machine this past year, but I highly doubt that's true). However, as was said before, a vet school's a vet school and it probably just comes down to personal preference.

I worked with a vet who went there around...15 years ago, I think? Anyways, she really enjoyed her time there and always has nice things to say about it. She has said that they didn't have "all the bells and whistles" like other vet schools. She thought it prepared her better for practicing in the "real world" where not every practice has fancy new equipment to use. She also said that they've recently had a lot of remodeling done, so not sure if that's accurate anymore. Hopefully someone on the board who has at least visited Tuskegee will be able to chime in.

I did not think I would be accepted there (just because I am not a minority). I had no clue about the school really. Otherwise I would have applied as it is a great school.

I thought they mostly had minority students so they were favorable to white applicants?

Man, a lot of rumors about this place.

The town is certainly small, and Alabama isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think the "scatterbrained" appearance and organization of their website, paired with some apparent difficulty contacting adcoms etc. with questions, is probably the main reason for the lesser applicant pool.

Again, I think this school does have some stigma attached... maybe everyone thinks that it's "podunk" or something... I'd consider it myself if I thought my husband could get a job near the university. Not sure if that would happen though.

Loo is around here somewhere, and I'm sure that... she (I hope a girl, never checked lol) can offer some personal insight on the school. Or, you can PM her I'm sure. :)

So trying to find information on the Veterinary teaching hospital and I am coming up with pretty much nothing. Do they actually have a website listing what specialty services they offer? I can't find them on the VIRMP site either so do they even offer internships or residencies?

I know the general sentiment here is that a vet school is a vet school is a vet school and we all graduated with the same DVM(excluding silly penn people), but I have to say I want to be at a school with "all the bells and whistles" to gain exposure to the various specialties. I also feel like case load is something else to be considered because there is a fairly large difference between a hospital that sees 5,000 cases a year and 25,000 cases a year.

I was hoping to find Tuskegee's case load on the VIRMP website, but does anyone know what it happens to be?

I suggest one reason why is because their % pass in recent years on the NAVLE was low enough that accreditation became at risk. Its on their website and has been.
http://www.tuskegee.edu/Global/story.asp?S=7270483
To their credit they have been improving since.

Last edited:
When I was applying to vet school, there were communication problems. No personal experience here, but I just remember that there were frustrated applicants.

I personally didn't apply there because I applied to very few schools and there were schools that were higher on my list.

The vet that owns our practice went to Tuskegee. From what he's said, he had a great experience there, and got a lot more hands on experience than vets from other schools.

So trying to find information on the Veterinary teaching hospital and I am coming up with pretty much nothing. Do they actually have a website listing what specialty services they offer? I can't find them on the VIRMP site either so do they even offer internships or residencies?

I know the general sentiment here is that a vet school is a vet school is a vet school and we all graduated with the same DVM(excluding silly penn people), but I have to say I want to be at a school with "all the bells and whistles" to gain exposure to the various specialties. I also feel like case load is something else to be considered because there is a fairly large difference between a hospital that sees 5,000 cases a year and 25,000 cases a year.

I was hoping to find Tuskegee's case load on the VIRMP website, but does anyone know what it happens to be?

When I was at Symposium last year we asked some of the Tuskegee faculty about the caseload at the school, being that Auburn was so close by. They said Tuskegee was really suffering in that regard and had a very small caseload (whereas Auburn still has a strong caseload). I would imagine this is a big issue with clinics.

Marsala, this unrelated. Is that a partridge silkie hen? I sure do love them!

I too have an interview at Tuskegee. My vet went to Auburn and actually suggested that I apply to Tuskegee. A few of her former professors now work at Tuskegee. I agree that the website is difficult to navigate and I think that is a turn off. I was trying to find the clinical rotations and can't find them anywhere.

Well, good luck at your interview.

Yes, she is a partridge silkie. I also have a blue silkie hen, an orange (buff?) silkie hen, a partridge roo and a white roo. Love my silkies, but the partridge hen (her name is Marsala, lol) is my favorite.

Good luck at your interview!

I suggest one reason why is because their % pass in recent years on the NAVLE was low enough that accreditation became at risk. Its on their website and has been.
http://www.tuskegee.edu/Global/story.asp?S=7270483
To their credit they have been improving since.

According to AAVMA, Louisiana, Western, and Tennessee are also under limited accreditation. Tennessee's website says that they were granted full accreditation in 1986, but says nothing about their limited accreditation.

Yeah, I love my white silkies. Buff is correct. I want some partridge, but they are hard to find. Let me know if you hatch any chicks!

Ok... I have a silly questions. Kinda pertains to Tuskegee, but not totally.

As a HBCU, Tuskegee obviously get more black applicants, or at least accepts more black/minority students. My question is not about this policy, but...

What constitutes being black (other minorities have specific def. so this question doesn't necessarily apply to them).

As I understand it, most definitions require you to be from (or an ancestor) from a "Sub-Saharan" African country. But as we all know, there is a large White/European population esp. in South Africa. So, skin color can't directly be an indicator.

I'm not black, but I can't trace my lineage back more then 1 (2 on maternal side) generations.

I am sure there are African-Americans who also can not trace their lineage back (at least not directly) very far.

Can i be African American?

I know this is a sensitive subject, and I mean no disrespect or don't want to start anything, but I've been wondering about this.

Any thoughts? I've actually called my school human resource department about this a few years ago. Didn't get a response.

Finally, if anyone thinks this response is inappropriate to the thread, say so and I'll edit/delete it.

...My question is not about this policy, but...

What constitutes being black (other minorities have specific def. so this question doesn't necessarily apply to them).

As I understand it, most definitions require you to be from (or an ancestor) from a "Sub-Saharan" African country. But as we all know, there is a large White/European population esp. in South Africa. So, skin color can't directly be an indicator.

I'm not black, but I can't trace my lineage back more then 1 (2 on maternal side) generations.

I am sure there are African-Americans who also can not trace their lineage back (at least not directly) very far.

I know this is a sensitive subject, and I mean no disrespect or don't want to start anything, but I've been wondering about this.

Any thoughts? I've actually called my school human resource department about this a few years ago. Didn't get a response.

Finally, if anyone thinks this response is inappropriate to the thread, say so and I'll edit/delete it.

I'm sure this discussion belongs in a different thread, but I couldn't help but think of this news story from a few years back...
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36764

I figured it was due to the accreditation stuff. The owner of the hospital where I work went to Tuskegee and she is a fantastic vet. I hope someone from Tuskegee reads this and realizes they need to update their website.

According to AAVMA, Louisiana, Western, and Tennessee are also under limited accreditation. Tennessee's website says that they were granted full accreditation in 1986, but says nothing about their limited accreditation.

Yeah, I love my white silkies. Buff is correct. I want some partridge, but they are hard to find. Let me know if you hatch any chicks!

Tennessee was just put under limited accreditation for their large animal hospital (needs updating). So they are working on it currently. I think the AVMA made their rounds last spring and the student body was told about it last semester.

Ok... I have a silly questions. Kinda pertains to Tuskegee, but not totally.

As a HBCU, Tuskegee obviously get more black applicants, or at least accepts more black/minority students. My question is not about this policy, but...

Hey there,
We've gone over this question in the Underrepresented in Healthcare Forum, if you want to take a look at the numerous threads, you may find your answer.

Personally, I do not have a problem with a White African applying for underrepresented status, because they are underrepresented in the United States. However, the adcoms may have a different opinion, seeing as a White African is not considered disadvantaged or underrepresented in their home country. It is not due to population, but privilege.

Hey there,
We've gone over this question in the Underrepresented in Healthcare Forum, if you want to take a look at the numerous threads, you may find your answer.

Personally, I do not have a problem with a White African applying for underrepresented status, because they are underrepresented in the United States. However, the adcoms may have a different opinion, seeing as a White African is not considered disadvantaged or underrepresented in their home country. It is not due to population, but privilege.

Thanks, i'm going to check it out. Appreciate the link!

EDIT: Wow, we are so tame and civilized in our pre-vet threads compared to the other sections on SDN. I mean, our little forums debates wouldn't even raise an eyebrow compared to what gets said over there. geesh, i'm not posting there... gonna be a lurker :) Learn what I gotta

Last edited:
Yeah, some people get a bit trippy when debating an issue.

I'm glad we're not like that around here.

You just have to wade through the nonsense.

Wow, we are so tame and civilized in our pre-vet threads compared to the other sections on SDN. I mean, our little forums debates wouldn't even raise an eyebrow compared to what gets said over there. geesh, i'm not posting there... gonna be a lurker

Oh, I looove lurking on some of the Pre-Allo Forums. I feel so...sane afterwards. :D

nevermind have clarity now...

Last edited:
Oh, I looove lurking on some of the Pre-Allo Forums. I feel so...sane afterwards. :D
I just took your cue & visited one of the pre-med forums...anyone else see the discussion about surfer hair? Awesome. :thumbup: