Question about shadowing and optometrist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With an oversupply of optometrists, are optometrists more hesitant to let a person shadow or volunteer in his or her office?

For optometrists on this forum, if a person came into your office wanting to shadow or volunteer in you office, would you hesitate for this reason?

I need to shadow but I feel like I would be imposing. I hate to bother people and feel like I would be in their way. Maybe I'm a little too self conscious.

Members don't see this ad.

With an oversupply of optometrists, are optometrists more hesitant to let a person shadow or volunteer in his or her office?

For optometrists on this forum, if a person came into your office wanting to shadow or volunteer in you office, would you hesitate for this reason?

I need to shadow but I feel like I would be imposing. I hate to bother people and feel like I would be in their way. Maybe I'm a little too self conscious.

Ask them if you can just shadow for 1 day for a few hours. I think there are many optometrists will to allow you to shadow for a small amount of time. I know when I become one, I will allow pre-opts to shadow me.

I don't know about the US, but in Canada... you'd be hard to find an OD who wouldn't let you shadow them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had trouble find an optometrist to let me shadow because he/she was too busy. Just ask around. There are many others that will be happy to help.

i had trouble find an optometrist to let me shadow because he/she was too busy. Just ask around. There are many others that will be happy to help.

I'm skeptical of that.....or at the very least I'm skeptical of the reasons. Even the busiest of OD can allow a student to shadow them and have a few minutes for lunch. Those that are claiming to be "too busy" just don't want to be bothered. Be persistent, and you will definately find someone to shadow. I have had prospective students in my office many times and am glad to do so.