Question about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AG94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a few posts on here that talk about schools requesting or requiring between 25-100 hours of shadowing depending on the school. My question is what if a bulk of your experience is through dental assisting?

I shadowed my senior year of highschool through a co-op program and got about 60 hours. Since then I have been working as a dental assistant over my college breaks (winter and summer) and have accumulated upwards of 900 hours assisting. I guess my real question is asking if the schools are only referring to shadow experience or if experience assisting at a practice is just as acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

i believe dental assisting counts under the shadowing hours bc while you are assisting it is a form of shadowing too essentially

I've read a few posts on here that talk about schools requesting or requiring between 25-100 hours of shadowing depending on the school. My question is what if a bulk of your experience is through dental assisting?

I shadowed my senior year of highschool through a co-op program and got about 60 hours. Since then I have been working as a dental assistant over my college breaks (winter and summer) and have accumulated upwards of 900 hours assisting. I guess my real question is asking if the schools are only referring to shadow experience or if experience assisting at a practice is just as acceptable?

Assisting > shadowing. You've got more than enough hours.

Reactions: 1 user