Question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I am going to call dentists for a shadowing(or volunteering) opportunity over the summer. However, I want to "shadow" or 'volunteer" every day from 3 to 4 hours for a month to have more hours.
Can I volunteer and shadow at the same time? I kinda think "how can you shadow that many hours every day? Do they have that much stuff to show you?"
Also, I am a little bit timid to call the dentists randomly. Any suggestion on coping with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone! I am going to call dentists for a shadowing(or volunteering) opportunity over the summer. However, I want to "shadow" or 'volunteer" every day from 3 to 4 hours for a month to have more hours.
Can I volunteer and shadow at the same time? I kinda think "how can you shadow that many hours every day? Do they have that much stuff to show you?"
Also, I am a little bit timid to call the dentists randomly. Any suggestion on coping with that?

email them and explain yourself and make sure you tell them that you understand that it's a very professional atmosphere and that you will respect it as so. a lot my just skip yur email and won't bother to reply so email as many as you can!

- and remmeber to send individual emails because if you email a mass email they will get it in their spam mail and probably won't open it

- Also, concerning the amount they can show you in that many hours... it depends on the dentist. One dentist I shadowed had soo soo many patients that there was always something to see and always had me doing something for him and he alway gave me stuff to read or look at and explained things to me. I stayed at his office 10 hours some times. Another one I shadowed was really boring, only a few patients and he wasn't really showing me much.