Question about Starting Own Practice After School

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
www.garyseeba.com
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Ok so you finish up your 4 years of dental school, and want to eventually run your own practice. First off is a fellowship necessary to be a general dentist or can you just join up with a group/private practice right out of school.

I totally want to be private practice no doubt. Hospitals are not my cup of tea although i can tolerate them. I'm assuming that i would join up with one other dentist in his late 50's to 60's. Work with him for about 3-5 years to establish patient relationships, and then buy out his practice. By this time i would be about 33 or so. Then if i desired, i would expand to 2-3 offices total.

Also whats the best way to get "money" for this type of business stuff? Just loans?

bodiddely

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 2, 2004
    1. Pre-Dental
      Once you graduate from dental school and pass the clinical exam for the state you want to practice in, you are fully licensed and can start a practice if you wish. Most people however either do a GPR/AEGD (1-2 year residency to become more proficient at general dentistry) or become an associate at an established practice to start paying back student loans/save up to start or buy-out a practice. I believe loans are generally pretty available to start/buy a practice if you have decent credit.

About the Ads

kevinacko

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 28, 2003
        you may want to check out dentaltown.com to find out more about getting started with a practice. they are mostly practicing dentists over there so they may know more than we could tell you.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 11, 2004
        Texas
          This might prove to be mostly irrelevant, but I recently saw an advertisement for loans specifically for health professionals, and it said you can get a credit line up to $50k (once you're actually a dentist, of course). It was from some bank or another, so I'd think such an arrangement could be fairly common.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.