1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about Starting Own Practice After School

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DrTacoElf, Apr 7, 2004.

1. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok so you finish up your 4 years of dental school, and want to eventually run your own practice. First off is a fellowship necessary to be a general dentist or can you just join up with a group/private practice right out of school.

I totally want to be private practice no doubt. Hospitals are not my cup of tea although i can tolerate them. I'm assuming that i would join up with one other dentist in his late 50's to 60's. Work with him for about 3-5 years to establish patient relationships, and then buy out his practice. By this time i would be about 33 or so. Then if i desired, i would expand to 2-3 offices total.

Also whats the best way to get "money" for this type of business stuff? Just loans?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bodiddely

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Once you graduate from dental school and pass the clinical exam for the state you want to practice in, you are fully licensed and can start a practice if you wish. Most people however either do a GPR/AEGD (1-2 year residency to become more proficient at general dentistry) or become an associate at an established practice to start paying back student loans/save up to start or buy-out a practice. I believe loans are generally pretty available to start/buy a practice if you have decent credit.

3. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the info. Where can i find more info about the differences in GPR/AEDG.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pktchris

pktchris Member
    7+ Year Member

do a search on this forum there has been some good posts on that subject in the past

5. kevinacko

kevinacko Member
    7+ Year Member

you may want to check out dentaltown.com to find out more about getting started with a practice. they are mostly practicing dentists over there so they may know more than we could tell you.

6. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

This might prove to be mostly irrelevant, but I recently saw an advertisement for loans specifically for health professionals, and it said you can get a credit line up to $50k (once you're actually a dentist, of course). It was from some bank or another, so I'd think such an arrangement could be fairly common.