Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question about Step 1 registration

Discussion in 'Step I' started by FrankShui, Dec 12, 2008.

1. FrankShui

FrankShui Just to be frank...
    10+ Year Member

How long does it take for the NBME to process your certification of ID/applicant authorization form? Did anyone here have a long turnaround time from when you mailed in the form and received your scheduling permit? I'm really worried that my form is lost in the mail.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it may have taken around 2 weeks from the time I mailed my form out until it said they'd received my form and that my school had confirmed I was enrolled in good standing or whatever... Then I signed up for a 3mo eligibility period that was >6 months out so I didn't get my scheduling permit for a while longer

4. johnsmith777

Removed

Medical Student
    how exactly are you guys signing up for the step1?

I've went to https://apps.nbme.org/ciw2/prod/jsp/login.jsp and clicked "first time user?", but it takes me to a page for people who have forgotten their username/password.

I filled out the form they asked, and got an email back from them saying "we don't have a record of you taking any exams in our database, so we can't give you a username/password".

I am an M2 at a US medical school for what it's worth.

5. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe I registered on that site. You have to create a profile before you actually register. So once you're on that site then theres a "first time users" tab I believe. Provide them with your social security number (or one of the other numbers they ask for on the top) and then all the rest of the information. Once you have a profile you can apply for Step 1. The point is that you log into this profile each time you need to register for an USMLE exam (so you'll use that same loging multiple times)

6. johnsmith777

Removed

Medical Student
    hey kdburton,

if you check the URL when you cursor over the links, you can see that the link of "first time user" takes you to the same link as "forgot my password".

In other words, when I fill out the "first time user" stuff, it says they will send me an email in 2 business days; however, when they send me an email, it says they have no record of me in their database and thus can't give me my password.