Question about Step 2 CK timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PremedBear

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've read the FAQ above which made it pretty clear that most neurology programs don't require step 2 when sending out interview invites, and so if you have a pretty good step 1, there's no rush to take it before september when ERAS can be submitted. However, I don't think the advice has been updated for several years so just wanted to ask recent applicants what I should do.

Basically, my step 1 is 266.
Could I take step 2 before september? Possibly, but then I'd be sacrificing time for sub-i's and collecting LORs and also I just feel a little burnt out about studying. I could probably do well (above average) but don't have high confidence I could do as relatively well or better compared to step 1. Also if I took it before September I could dedicate 2-3 weeks of free study time, whereas if I took it toward December I could dedicate 3-4 weeks, although I might be flying around for interviews.

A few professors I've talked to just said they recommend having step 2 anyways and didn't think it looked bad if you didn't do as well as you did on step 1. A neurology PGY2 friend of mine said I could just take it later (December) since programs mostly use Step 1 to screen for interviews and then consider Step 2 when ranking.

What would be the best thing to do in my situation? Thanks!
 
Personally, I would recommend waiting and taking it later on. The score matters a little bit for some fellowships down the road, but given your step 1 score you should test well anyway. Step 2 is easier than Step 1, and taking Qbank is fun if you're not otherwise busy. If your Step 1 was low we'd be having a different conversation, but I don't see how having another score helps you right now.
 
I thought programs were increasingly requiring step 2. Is this not the case in neuro?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I guess this was the purpose of my question. The FAQ thread basically says not to worry about taking step 2 before applications are submitted, but that was 5 or so years ago. I've heard similar things for other specialties. Not sure how to gauge what neuro is like right now. Might just start making a spreadsheet of potential residencies and see what each program says on their website (or might have to email them).