Question about step I and optho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Just out of curiosity. Is it possible to match in optho after failing step I? What if someone ended up scoring like a 230+ the second time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Best not to even think about having to deal with that until after you get your scores back and you know for sure that you failed step one...save yourself some grief. Most people walk out of that test confused but end up doing better than they thought.

I know someone that did. But this was an exceptional situation and an exceptional individual...

tatabox80 said:
Hi there,
Just out of curiosity. Is it possible to match in optho after failing step I? What if someone ended up scoring like a 230+ the second time around?

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored 251/99 on step 1, but I don't really know if allopathic ophthalmology programs accept many D.O. students. Anyone have any insight? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

JSandall said:
I scored 251/99 on step 1, but I don't really know if allopathic ophthalmology programs accept many D.O. students. Anyone have any insight? Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I think a 251 would do nothing but help you. Whether it would put you on the same "level" as the allopaths, I don't know. It would probably depend on the program. I've wondered whether programs that have DO attendings are more likely to accept DO students.

JSandall said:

Isn't the USMLE supposed to be the "great equalizer?" With a 251, you shouldn't have any problems, granted everything else is okay on your application. I'm glad more DO's are going for ophtho. I'll be joining you soon. Good luck!