Question about Step I score and Pediatrics Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sacramentokings

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I had a quick question. I received my Step I score and am not happy with it. I made a 206 and had not made this score on any of my practice exams. I have just started my third year rotations and currently am on Family Medicine. I will be going to a childrens hospital for my Pediatrics Rotation. I want to go into Pediatrics and then hopefully get a fellowship in Critical Care or Neonatology. I was wondering if I will still be able to match with my Step Score if I dont apply to top tier programs? and if Pediatric residencies look heavily at Step 1 scores? I have been secretary of my class, secretary of the OB/GYN group and have publications and research. Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
Hi,

I had a quick question. I received my Step I score and am not happy with it. I made a 206 and had not made this score on any of my practice exams. I have just started my third year rotations and currently am on Family Medicine. I will be going to a childrens hospital for my Pediatrics Rotation. I want to go into Pediatrics and then hopefully get a fellowship in Critical Care or Neonatology. I was wondering if I will still be able to match with my Step Score if I dont apply to top tier programs? and if Pediatric residencies look heavily at Step 1 scores? I have been secretary of my class, secretary of the OB/GYN group and have publications and research. Thanks for the help.

You'll be fine. Take step 2 early, rock it. Get all your other application ducklings in line (rock third year as much as possible, good LOR, etc).

Good Luck!
 
Hi,

I had a quick question. I received my Step I score and am not happy with it. I made a 206 and had not made this score on any of my practice exams. I have just started my third year rotations and currently am on Family Medicine. I will be going to a childrens hospital for my Pediatrics Rotation. I want to go into Pediatrics and then hopefully get a fellowship in Critical Care or Neonatology. I was wondering if I will still be able to match with my Step Score if I dont apply to top tier programs? and if Pediatric residencies look heavily at Step 1 scores? I have been secretary of my class, secretary of the OB/GYN group and have publications and research. Thanks for the help.

I agree with Siver, all is not lost. In pediatrics, Step 1 doesn't play as big of a role as other specialties. There are some programs that have cut-offs, but the cut-offs are right around where you're sitting http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf (page 127). If you do well in 3rd year, on Step 2 and get strong LOR, you still have a shot at some top programs. If you haven't already, try to connect with a Pediatric specialty specific advisor/mentor. You still have a great chance of matching, good luck with 3rd year!
 
would anyone have an idea what kind of STEP 1 score a DO student would need for a peds program like emory?