Quantcast

Question about submitting secondary applications in past cycles

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sedaniel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding medical schools that screen for sending secondaries: Two cycles ago I received a secondary from a school that is now one of my top choices (I didn't know a whole lot about it when I first applied, but now I do and really like the school). I didn't complete the secondary at that time. My question is, can this affect my chances of getting their secondary this time around since I did not complete it the first time?

OhioDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding medical schools that screen for sending secondaries: Two cycles ago I received a secondary from a school that is now one of my top choices (I didn't know a whole lot about it when I first applied, but now I do and really like the school). I didn't complete the secondary at that time. My question is, can this affect my chances of getting their secondary this time around since I did not complete it the first time?

It might - they could view you not completing this secondary as "rejecting them".

StanGoodspeed

Reaction score
I think this is a relatively minor point compared to other areas of your application (GPA, MCAT, ECs, personal statement, etc.), so I don't think it would affect you receiving their secondary (if they pre-screen) or an interview invite. It's pretty common to list a school on the primary app and not get to its secondary.

I could see your interviewer asking you why you didn't complete the secondary when you applied 2 years ago. It would be useful to have a short explanation (i.e. I learned more about the school and its curriculum, programs, etc.).