Question About Switching Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetMedOrBust

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this may seem like a silly question, but it's one that has been weighing on my mind lately.
I started off my undergrad at a community college. I did two years (and all of my gen. ed. stuff) there. This fall I will be transferring to a four-year school (EMU). However... I have decided that ideally I want to attend a different university (U of M). The application deadline is well passed for U of M, so I would have to do one semester at EMU and then transfer. Is it too much? I'm sure it would end up being a question of whether I transferred for the right reasons, which would be because I felt U of M would give me a better, more competitive education.
Or does any of it matter? How much does what school you get your undergrad at even count, as long as you do well?
There are other reasons for switching to U of M, such as school reputation, campus safety, etc.
Thanks for any advice you can offer! I'm so confused :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I can only assume that you are from MI (EMU/ U of M), and if that is the case, then I'd agree that U of M has a better reputation (I just graduated from OU myself). But I'd consider aiming for MSU since they have the vet school, you'd at the very least make some more pertainant connections. But no one could argue that U of M has a spectacular rep. Making the switch to EMU then to U of M might be a bit complicated, but if you want to go to U of M, go for it. My brother is going there to get his library science degree, Ann Arbor is sweet. Of course, if you aren't from MI, this is all moot. But I guess it could be applied to anyone with an IS school.
Even though some say that where you did your undergrad makes no difference, I hear otherwise. From many of the MSU vets that I've talked to, a good majority of them did their undergrad at MSU and felt that that was a driving force behind their application. I have no point of reference because I haven't been through the US application procedure yet, but that's just my opinon. There are definately some schools that look at where you did your undergrad (U of Penn, Cornell, some others because they straight up told me that they do.), maybe some don't care I obviously don't know. I am more than positive that someone around here does though :thumbup:. That's why I like these forums so much. Didn't mean to be long winded, hope this helped a little bit.

Haha, yes I'm from MI. Unfortunately doing undergrad at MSU isn't really an option due to the commute (and I'm a married homeowner so it's not like I could just get an apartment up there). I've got to stick closer to home until vet school arrives, at which point I'll make the choice between commuting/uprooting. I would adore MSU as an undergrad school, though!
I do enjoy Ann Arbor (work there), and think U of M is the best choice for me. I just wondered if it was worth all the transferring.
Thanks for your input!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you have a chat with vet med admissions at MSU? They can help you figure out if it really is better to go to U of M. Wouldn't it cost extra money to transfer that soon?
If I lived farther away from the U of I, I would definitely make a call to them to see what they thought. I lucked out and did the family thing in the same town. :love:

hi!

i graduated from um.

as a married homeowner, i wonder if um would really be a better fit for you than emu. sure it's got the reputation. sure there are research dollars, but those are more seen by graduate students - unless you plan to do undergraduate research. in favour of michigan - without a doubt, being an undergrad at michigan offers so many outstanding opportunities beyond your education.

people have gone to vet school with 4 year degrees from many schools, some with heavy community college transcripts. a lot of these places are more amenable for reasons of scheduling, cost, etc. for instance, i did my vet pre-reqs at university of texas extension - night classes. they were every bit as good as courses i took at university of texas, in fact better. same material, smaller classes, more direct contact with faculty, more helpful faculty, less expensive. i also took classes at st. edward's university in austin, for the same reasons. i was planning to take more at austin community college, until i got admitted here.

of course, i do have michigan on my transcript, and no doubt that served me well (academic snobbery?). but i would argue it's not where you go, it's what you do there. i think vet school (and pre-vet) is largely what you make of it. if you stay at emu and earn high marks, get some good references, score well on the gre, i have to think it's irrelevant that you stayed at emu instead of spending your life savings on michigan - i think it's one of the most expensive in-state public universities in america. what about wayne state - they have an outstanding medical school. for what it's worth, the chair of the electrical engineering department at ucla when i was there earned his phd from wayne state. what you make of it.

i don't know the cost of attending msu, but that would be a good move for exactly the reasons given by jpeterman13. you have a chance to liaise with the vet school, maybe even take some undergrad vet courses. my vet in phoenix did that at texas a&m and thought it helped her application. as far as just going to msu, i would think not so much - only if you get involved with the vet school.

one day i hope to serve on an admissions committee so my opinion really means something.

anyway, hope that's helpful.

best wishes!

Haha, yes I'm from MI. Unfortunately doing undergrad at MSU isn't really an option due to the commute (and I'm a married homeowner so it's not like I could just get an apartment up there). I've got to stick closer to home until vet school arrives, at which point I'll make the choice between commuting/uprooting. I would adore MSU as an undergrad school, though!
I do enjoy Ann Arbor (work there), and think U of M is the best choice for me. I just wondered if it was worth all the transferring.
Thanks for your input!!