question about systemic side effects of topical steroid use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhill199

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can find plenty of information that warns against long term or widespread use of potent topical steroids, but I have yet to find any actual definition of "long term" or "widespread use". I have several 15g tubes of Desoximetasone 0.25% Cream, but I am worried about possible absorption and systemic side effects since I saw that it is classified as a Class 2 or Potent topical steroid. The reason I was prescribed the cream is that I have a rash/infection covering most of the area of the front of both thighs. General Practitioner prescribed a course of antibiotics for 10 days and 60mg of prednisone for 5 days(20mg pill every 8 hours), ending last week. Since the rash and/or infection is still not cleared, I saw a dermatologist and I have been prescribed a new course of antibiotics and the Desoximetasone cream, which I am supposed to apply twice a day for two weeks. Is that enough skin area and/or length of treatment to worry about any possibility of systemic side effects, considering the fact that I just got off of a burst of prednisone? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

apple-iphone-in-hand-thumb.jpg

These are awesome. You can call your dermatologist with it AND watch this thread get locked on SDN.

All the while listening to the Backstreet Boys.

"You are...my fiiiiiirreee..."

Closing thread. SDN is not a place for medical advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.