Question about the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WithLove

xoxo
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to write the DAT in the summer? And how much time did you spend preparing? I'm going to be writing this summer and so I want more information before I book a date. Thanks xox

Members don't see this ad.

I think the ideal time to take it is at the end of summer of your sophomore year (after having taken organic chemistry), when the material that is covered on the test (bio, general chem, organic chem) is still fresh in your head. The amount of time to prepare will depend entirely on your style of studying, the amount of hours you study each day, and how much of the material you remember from class - but I'd say the typical range is 1-3 months.

That gives you a year before applying to retake if you aren't happy with your scores as well.

When is the best time to write the DAT in the summer? And how much time did you spend preparing? I'm going to be writing this summer and so I want more information before I book a date. Thanks xox

so one thing id do is search up a lot of DAT reviews on this forum and get a feel of what materials they used, when they took their DAT, and how long they studied. that will help you formulate a solid plan.

also are you applying this summer? that will affect when you want to take the DAT.

so one thing id do is search up a lot of DAT reviews on this forum and get a feel of what materials they used, when they took their DAT, and how long they studied. that will help you formulate a solid plan.

also are you applying this summer? that will affect when you want to take the DAT.
Im writing this summer but I recently decided I wanted to do dentistry so I'll be a non-traditional applicant (finished my undergrad earlier last year). So im hoping to apply late this summer

Im writing this summer but I recently decided I wanted to do dentistry so I'll be a non-traditional applicant (finished my undergrad earlier last year). So im hoping to apply late this summer

That's going to make things a little trickier, because your application won't be considered complete until your scores are in and approved by AADSAS - and if that's too late in the summer you risk your application being late. If you're applying the same summer you're taking the DAT, try to take it by July at the very latest.