question about the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bebegirl01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the DAT and didn't do so well. I studied the Kaplan blue book as well as Top Score. I felt like top score was totally off from the DAT (except for the organic) I have seen numerous threads about this DAT Destroyer and was wondering if it is really a good source to study from or are the people simply advertising the product? I just called and talked with Nancy and am debating whethere to get it.

And one last question... I will have 3 months before I can retake this exam. Can anyone suggest a study schedule during this time. I don't know how long it will take to get thru destroyer.

Thanks so much!:p

Members don't see this ad.

I got the Destroyer about 3 weeks ago and it seems pretty straight forward. I work full time so when I get off work I am able to go thru one complete section in about a few hours. I have taken the test twice before and didn't do well at all. My only study tool at that time was Kaplan. I hope that Destroyer does improve my score since I have heard so many positive things about it. Make sure you check with the schools that you are applying to as well because most schools will only except 3 DAT scores. Luckily the school I am applying to has a new rule (they only except test taken since Jan 2006) so I have two more chances. Hopefully I wont need it. Good luck to you!
By the way if you read some threads you will see that people have highlighted similar questions from Destroyer that were on their exams.

study schedule should be whenever you can but what you need to do is take upperlevel chem and bio classes that was the biggest help for me

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check with schools you are interested in about DAT scores. I was simply informed by Dr. Brown that only three chances will be given. If you don't succeed in those three chances then you must re-take upper level courses to prove you can handle a dental course load.

Yes, to clarify actually it's not just that some schools that are limiting the DAT to 3 tries, it's the ADA- so this is national standard coming into place. Each individual is now limited to 3 tries during their lifetime. And realistically, I don't know why you would really want more than that.

However, I haven't heard of the Jan 2006 rule that MUSC has instated so I'm pretty sure that is school specific.

I interviewed at MUSC recently and they had my 2003 DAT and my 2006 DAT score on a sheet of paper for all my interviewers. As far as I know DATs are good for 4-5 years.

What Dr. Brown did you interview with? I had a Gwen Brown and was wondering how your interview went.

Babegirl, I'm in the same boat as you. I have found the destroyer very helpful, and no, I'm not advertising for Dr. Romano. My recomedation is to make the destroyer your main study text, assuming you have a good foundation from kaplan.

today was my first serious sitdown with the destroyer. i got through the first 80 problems. what i did was write little notes about the theme of the problem from the solutions onto the actual problem. thay way i can give myself hints at marking the write answer while learning the concept at the same time.

Yes, to clarify actually it's not just that some schools that are limiting the DAT to 3 tries, it's the ADA- so this is national standard coming into place. Each individual is now limited to 3 tries during their lifetime. And realistically, I don't know why you would really want more than that.

However, I haven't heard of the Jan 2006 rule that MUSC has instated so I'm pretty sure that is school specific.

According to the ADA (Dental Admission Testing Program 2007), www.ada.org

"Effective January,2007 examinees who have attended three or more test must apply for special permission to take the test again".

Be that as it may, there are plenty of loopholes. Among the valid reasons for retaking are: copy of completed and submitted appl. to dental school, letter of rejection, a letter from adcom officer encouraging a retest/reapply, letter from college/univ health prof. advisor/instructor verifying application/reapplication to dental school. Retaking the exam beyong the 3 times limit should not be a problem.