Question about the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renox9

Registered Boozer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started school a month ago, but being the person that I am (constantly looking to see what comes next) I've begun reading about different residency programs in the field I want to pursue. Yeah, I'm procrastinating. I can't take any more of Big Moore and his blue boxes. Anyways, I want to go into neurology, and when looking at some neurology residency program web sites they all say that they require (on average) one year of internal medicine. My question is this:

The match process that happens in the fourth year, would I go through that match for internal medicine and then do another round of applications for neurology residency programs once I've finished that year? Or would I apply straight away for neurology but somehow work in an agreement that there will be a year of internal med between graduation and when the residency begins?

I'm sure if I just chilled out and waited until this question was actually pressing I would by that time know the answer...but whatever...I like procrastinating.

Members don't see this ad.

you will apply to and match to both your prelim (medicine) year and your neurology residency as a 4th year. don't worry about this now; you'll probably change your mind a half dozen times anyway...

thanks!

hmm...now back to studying huh. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to simply match into internal medicine and then later choose to enter neurology, cardiology, etc. after that 1st year?

Neurology goes through a "special" match, the SF match. It's also known as the "early" match, and, to make matters more complicated, it's one of the residencies that requires a prelim/transitional year first. I suppose you could match regular (categorical) IM first, then try to switch later. I know a 2nd-year psych resident who ended up switching into neurology, so it's possible.

Cardiology is a fellowship that takes place after a 3-year Internal Medicine residency.

dsblaha said:
Is it possible to simply match into internal medicine and then later choose to enter neurology, cardiology, etc. after that 1st year?

you can choose to do many kinds of med if you match into IM first. this sux cause i cant decide what to do either. arghhhh.

If you want to know the path to different fields and start to plan your life I recommend Iserson's Guide to getting a residency. It should be in your bookstore.