Question about timing and prospects...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qafas

Jarhead
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an MSIV and have become interested in anesthesia over the last few months. I haven't done any rotations in it yet, but will be doing two of them starting in the last week of Oct. I've only been interested in internal medicine until this point, but now am not sure if that is what I really want.
My questions are as follows:
1. Is it just too late to apply for anesthesiology this year, given that I won't even finish my first anes rotation until late november?
2. What about applying for just a prelim spot this year and applying for a CA-1 spot next year? How difficult is it to land such a spot?
3. How easy or difficult is it to switch from a categorical IM spot after 1 year to go into something else?

Any advice in these matters will be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have first hand knowledge of a similar situation.
Thanks, and good luck to all applying this year.
Q

Members don't see this ad.

Qafas said:
Hi, I am an MSIV and have become interested in anesthesia over the last few months. I haven't done any rotations in it yet, but will be doing two of them starting in the last week of Oct. I've only been interested in internal medicine until this point, but now am not sure if that is what I really want.
My questions are as follows:
1. Is it just too late to apply for anesthesiology this year, given that I won't even finish my first anes rotation until late november?
2. What about applying for just a prelim spot this year and applying for a CA-1 spot next year? How difficult is it to land such a spot?
3. How easy or difficult is it to switch from a categorical IM spot after 1 year to go into something else?

Any advice in these matters will be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have first hand knowledge of a similar situation.
Thanks, and good luck to all applying this year.
Q

1. No. Apply now. Get LOR's from anyone willing to write you a good one.
2. Very difficult. Not impossible, but you have a better chance applying now rather than during an internship during which you may or may not even have time to interview.
3. Depends on what you are switching in to.