Question about Training in New IR Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NappingGuppy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Esteemed Ladies and Gents of the IR board:

A classmate of mine in our interventional interest group asked me a pretty good question I didn't have an answer to today.

Basically the way things are set up right now, you perform an IR fellowship and you develop a skill-set of techniques that you learn at your fellowship. That's why fellowship training is so important - that's basically the year you pick up all of your skills.

What happens when you're an attending, maybe working at in PP or academics, and somebody in the IR field comes out with good data for an amazing new approach (say for MS or ED). How do other people get trained/certified in that technique?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the new techniques utilize the basic IR skillset that you gain during your training- just translated into a new area. These are the easiest to master. Other new procedures/techniques do require a brand new set of skills and this requires additional training - for example, in the form of a course (hands-on workshop) or training with someone who is already performing the procedure.

But if you look at the masters of the field of IR, they all have the ability to not only invent these new techniques, they are able to master them and this speaks highly to the fluidity and innovation that lies within IR.

So who are the masters in the field of IR?