Question about transfer into 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phospholipid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing research into what it takes to transfer into the 3rd year class from a Caribbean medical school. I noticed on NEOUCOM website regarding transfer that the deadline is by May 1, and that the USMLE step 1 is required for consideration. If I just completed my second year and take the USMLE in June, and won't have my score till July, am I still eligible to be considered for transfer? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Read your second sentence for the answer.

If in doubt, contact the school.

I have gone through the process myself this year. For all the schools I looked at and applied to applications were normally taken from March through May/June. Decisions were made in mid to late June. I received all of my rejection letters by early July. Some places mailed me sooner than that. Although the schools say that step 1 score isn't required most of the time it really is. IMO the step 1 score is the only thing they can truly compare you to their students. I hate to say it but if you can't take the step 1 until june and get your score back in july your 99% sol for a transfer. That being said, if your home state med school(s) is very open to taking fmgs into 3rd year and they have spots they want to fill- all bets are off. The students with the best shot at getting a transfer are students that finish basic sciences in December. That gives you plenty of time to take step 1 and get all of your application materials together. Good luck to you I really hope you get a spot next year!