Question about traveling during summer of application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterScroggins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on applying this upcoming cycle and should have all my stuff ready to go when the cycle opens up in early June. That being said, I wanted advice from those of you who have applied and gone through the process.

Ideally I'd like to travel to south east Asia this summer and I'm trying to come up with the right time to do it. I understand that after the application opens it usually takes sometime to verify that everything has gotten approved correctly (LORS, Transcripts, etc)...

What I'm not to sure about is what happens after my application is submitted and everything is good. Would it be ok for me to leave the country for 3 weeks in July and not miss out on anything that would be detrimental to my application? Things like secondaries and what not? I'm honestly not sure what I might miss given that I have never applied.

Ideally I would be looking to travel for 3 weeks in the time range of about July 10- August 1st

I'm sure I will have random internet access when there, but not something that I will be able to check everyday.

Please let me know if you guys have any advice or insight for me!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying early June when the application opens up, your app will most likely be verified in 10 days or even less. This means you'll receive most secondaries within a week and can finish them before July 1st!

I applied end of June and my application was verified in about 13 days (weekend included)..

Edit: Some schools have their secondaries out, aka you can finish them while your application is being verified, some schools don't need a secondary (just the fee), and some schools like NYU will only send you a secondary application if you're selected for an interview.

I was in Asia when I applied. The only annoying thing is that for some places, like Penn, they ask you to mail the supplements in. So I had to ask my aunt in the U.S. to do it for me! But other than that, as long as you are on top of your things, you should be fine with just Internet access.