Question about TUCOM MI supplemental app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terimadi12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally received a supplemental app to TUCOM MI which is my number one choice. On the Touro website it says that they pre screen all applicants and not everyone receives a supplemental app, and that if you do receive the app then the school feels that you have met the MCAT and GPA criteria for the school. I just wanted to know if in fact this is true, and also if they can tell me from their experience what a person's chances are for an interview once they submit the supplemental app..since to me it seems as if they have prescreened you for your MCAT and GPA they would give everyone an interview so that they can get to know them better..any information would be helpful since this is where I want to be..and if anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

terimadi12 said:
I finally received a supplemental app to TUCOM MI which is my number one choice. On the Touro website it says that they pre screen all applicants and not everyone receives a supplemental app, and that if you do receive the app then the school feels that you have met the MCAT and GPA criteria for the school. I just wanted to know if in fact this is true, and also if they can tell me from their experience what a person's chances are for an interview once they submit the supplemental app..since to me it seems as if they have prescreened you for your MCAT and GPA they would give everyone an interview so that they can get to know them better..any information would be helpful since this is where I want to be..and if anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dr. Haight, the admissions director, personally screens out each and every applicant, and so in essence he hand-picks the classes. Here's how the numbers will look this year:

4000 primaries
2000 secondaries will be granted
400 interviews granted
100 will be given acceptances(actually, the class size is 135, but 35 spots for this year's class were given to Early Decision Applicants from last year).

If you're keeping track, it means that they accept 4% of the total applicants. So, yes, getting a secondary is a good sign, but as you can see there is still a long road to go. Make sure to send it in ASAP!!! I can't stress this enough, since during my interview on 11/1, he had already given acceptances to 40-60 applicants. Granted, not all students accepted will matriculate, but that was almost 80 days ago. By now, they are REALLY going to start being picky about who they invite for interviews. Good luck, and keep us posted!!

i think they give out more acceptances..because not all of the ppl that get accepted take their seat...DO schools usually accept about twice the class size...

Members don't see this ad :)
terimadi12 said:

feel good that you have been asked to send in the secondary...and good luck!

FWIW, I interviewed at Touro-LV. I had an OK interview (it was my first, I was nervous), and I received a rejection in the mail a few days later. I inquired about it to the admissions director Roger Corbman[?] (who said he would tell us if we wanted to know), assuming it was my interview, as I had thought GPA and MCAT were for the initial screening. Long story short, I made the initial, the secondary, and the interview, at which time they rejected me because of my low GPA.

I thought to myself, "Why did they invite me for an interview, if they were going to reject me for my poor GPA?"

Whatever though... LECOM-FL, cya in August!

mj1878 said:
Dr. Haight, the admissions director, personally screens out each and every applicant, and so in essence he hand-picks the classes. Here's how the numbers will look this year:

4000 primaries
2000 secondaries will be granted
400 interviews granted
100 will be given acceptances(actually, the class size is 135, but 35 spots for this year's class were given to Early Decision Applicants from last year).

If you're keeping track, it means that they accept 4% of the total applicants. So, yes, getting a secondary is a good sign, but as you can see there is still a long road to go. Make sure to send it in ASAP!!! I can't stress this enough, since during my interview on 11/1, he had already given acceptances to 40-60 applicants. Granted, not all students accepted will matriculate, but that was almost 80 days ago. By now, they are REALLY going to start being picky about who they invite for interviews. Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Dr. Haight said that they accept about twice as many as actually matriculate, as is the case at most schools. they expect people to have multiple acceptances, therefore they have to accept more than they have seats for.

And, I'll second on getting that secondary back ASAP. Dr. Haight said that after winter break, they pretty much interview for waitlist spots and a few acceptances with each cycle, rather than mostly for acceptances.