question about UCBSO interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biostarjay1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All UCBSO students

I am really intererest in attending UCBSO. I had been the campus tour and talked with the current students. I love it! As a matter of fact, this is the only school I applied. I got the chance to go to interview at Jan 28th. My question is since I dont have an outstanding numbers (GPA 3.2 from UCI and 350 for OAT) how can I stand out as a competitive pre-optometry student. Please share it with me some of insider's view. UCBSO says the attire is business casual. does that mean a suit with a tie? What is the percentage of people got acceptance if they are interviewed? Thank you for answering my question. I wish every one has a happy holiday! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

It's important to have some realistic idea of what the profession is about, what issues it is facing, and why you want to go to Berkeley in particular. It helps to have had some experience working in an office or shadowing, or doing something that indicates your enthusiasm and familiarity with optometry (and if not, have a good explanation of why not).

Hey,

When I interviewed last year, I felt like I didn't stand out. However, I tried to mention my experience as an EKG technician. That's what I thought made me stand out so that's what I emphasized.

I think UCBSO usually pre-accepts around 30 people and then interviews approximately 60+- people. So it really depends on how many pre-accepted people accept. Last year, most of the pre-accepted people ended up accepting the offer.

Good luck at the interview!

Ning-Ju

Members don't see this ad :)
Since UCBSO is a very research oriented institution, I would discuss your interest about the lab bench side of things.

Hi biostarjay1:

Most men do show up in a suit (black) and tie on interview day.

The school only accepts 60 students each year, and pre-accepts more students each application cycle. In my class, close to 25-30 people were pre-accepted and they interview about 80-90 more people for the open spots.

I think your stats are pretty good, but I'm a bit biased because I had the same GPA from UCI and about the same OAT scores also. :)

This is a great list made by yOyOYoo of the questions he was asked during his SCCO interview 2 years ago: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=958122&postcount=8

Have a friend or family member go over the questions with you since it will give you a good idea about what formal questions could be asked. Only talk about research if you have a sincere desire in it because many of the faculty interviewers are not researches and are clinical instructors. Have a fun time, and don't ignore the student interviewer.

- Rosanna