Question about underbite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eight143

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 1 yo daughter and I noticed that she has a slight underbite. Will she have a class III malocclusion when she grows up or can she grow out of it?

Members don't see this ad.

eight143 said:
I have a 1 yo daughter and I noticed that she has a slight underbite. Will she have a class III malocclusion when she grows up or can she grow out of it?

Are her 1st year molars in yet?

eight143 said:

Begeebers!!! crack out the surgical set up. two jaw surgery --- stat!!! we don't want her to look like a bulldog.

On a serious note. This is why a little knowledge can be dangerous. anyways, you really don't have to worry about anything at this point regarding her occlusion -- what ever level class it is. I mean come on her little jaws haven't even had a chance to grow yet.

No treatment needed at this age!!!! (come on braces on a 1 yr old??) -- anyways, at the very least treatment won't be needed until the 6 yr molars erupt.

At that age ( 6-7) get an ortho consult; if she's really class III (which she's probably not -- unless there's a genetic predisposition, meaning that mom or dad has a skeletal cl. III), at that time maybe some growth modification treatment can be started (ie - expansion-facemask, partial braces, etc.). if needed.

hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your replies. I didn't think it would be a problem. I was just a little curious because my 4 yo didn't have the "problem" at all when she was 1.

eight143 said:
thanks for your replies. I didn't think it would be a problem. I was just a little curious because my 4 yo didn't have the "problem" at all when she was 1.

Babies tend to position their mandible foward because they have not established a posterior occlusion. When they start learning to chew it is with the anteriors biting end to end.

As the posters have said above, at age one you often see forward posturing of the mandible. 1st primary molars are flat so there is no real occlusal lock so kids posture all over the place, wherever is comfortable, not necessarily how the jaws relate. Typically at 3 years of age the relationship of the maxilla to the mandible is well established and you don't see a significant change. So, if your child has a class III tendancy at 3 I would be more concerned, but there are so many variables that there is no reason to get yourself worked up! Relax and enjoy your baby!
Emily