Question about undergrad pre req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

detroitriver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never took chem in high school but really want to take it now in my undergrad, the only problem is that the pre req for chem I is gr 12 chemistry class. If I talk to my professor would they usually say it is alright to take it? I just purchased an introductorychemistry book of amazon.com and Im going over it every day for the next 6 weeks to prepare myself. thanks for any help/responses.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on a few things. first, talk to the professor and tell him your situation. he may just let you in. if not, there is probably a test you take that demonstrates your aptitude to be in a general chemistry class.

it helps to be really convincing when talking to the professor as he is the one in whose hands the decision lies. convince him that you can handle the course.

At my college they offered a chem class for those who didn't take chem in highschool, so that they'd be prepared for the next class, maybe see if one of those is being offered.

And if that doesn't work, they very likely will review everything to some extent or another (in the book or in lecture), and if you really buckle down you'll probably be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my college they offered a chem class for those who didn't take chem in highschool, so that they'd be prepared for the next class, maybe see if one of those is being offered.

And if that doesn't work, they very likely will review everything to some extent or another (in the book or in lecture), and if you really buckle down you'll probably be fine.
ive already looked into it and the most basic class requires a grade 12 chem. I might go to the community college to see if they offer anything.

okay so basically heres the situation, I did pretty well this semester with 4 A's and 1 B. I think this shows my dedication to school and that Im serious about doing well. Should I email the teacher now about asking if I can be admitted into the course for the Fall 2009 semester? or should I wait until later to ask. The only reason I would ask now is because it shows I'm not making a last second decision and that I've thought it through. Anyone have an opinion they care to share?