Question about UOP admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankman321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this should be on the class discussion section but I have a question about applying to UOP.

When I talked to the admission advisor she said that if you take your courses at a CC you should also try to have some upper division courses as well. She also said that since this a 3 year program the adcom prefers that you have 3 science courses per semester.

Anybody know if applicants were able to get admitted taking CC courses and having 2 science courses per semester? My advisor recommended going against 3 science courses (I thought it was a little overkill imo but then again this was before I thought of applying to UOP/applying to dental school)

any advice would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I was on the quarter system but I only took 3 science classes for 4 or 5 quarters. It's not that I tried to avoid it, but due to the way schedules worked out, it usually always ended up being 2 sci + 1-2 non-science courses. I got in just fine.

I don't think there's any harm in taking upper-div sciences at your 4 year university (assuming all your pre-reqs are from a CC), but if you don't, it doesn't mean you won't get in. There are a lot of things that are recommended, but that's just it: they aren't required. If you can, sure, throw in an upper-div or two. Biochem and microbio seem to be required courses at a growing number of schools, so if you haven't taken those, that's an idea.

sorry if this should be on the class discussion section but I have a question about applying to UOP.

When I talked to the admission advisor she said that if you take your courses at a CC you should also try to have some upper division courses as well. She also said that since this a 3 year program the adcom prefers that you have 3 science courses per semester.

Anybody know if applicants were able to get admitted taking CC courses and having 2 science courses per semester? My advisor recommended going against 3 science courses (I thought it was a little overkill imo but then again this was before I thought of applying to UOP/applying to dental school)

any advice would be awesome.

2cents..
They "recommend" 3+ science classes per term, because their curriculum is compressed into 3 years (duh). I am not sure if the admission advisor was in bad mood, but I got totally bashed when I asked her for an advice because some of my terms, I had less than 3 science courses or I had part-time per term (literally asked me why I didn't have 3 science courses). I mean there is only one way to find out which is by applying. Also consider if you can pull off good grade, 3+ science courses per term will show your potential. Reminder that in D-school seems that people take 20+ units per term on pure science..

Members don't see this ad :)
2cents..
They "recommend" 3+ science classes per term, because their curriculum is compressed into 3 years (duh). I am not sure if the admission advisor was in bad mood, but I got totally bashed when I asked her for an advice because some of my terms, I had less than 3 science courses or I had part-time per term (literally asked me why I didn't have 3 science courses). I mean there is only one way to find out which is by applying. Also consider if you can pull off good grade, 3+ science courses per term will show your potential. Reminder that in D-school seems that people take 20+ units per term on pure science..

haha i might have had the same lady. being a former pharmacy tech, I have heard worse things over the phone but it definitely made me re-consider applying to UOP not bc of her but what she thought of my application. I guess it makes sense since this a 3 yr DS but I was hoping my full time work while taking classes would at least show some compensation. which is weird, considering last time I called it was a guy and he said if I went to a CC just make sure to do very well on the DAT to make all things equal. maybe each counselor has their own opinions

then again, she is only an "advisor". My view on UOP became very negative, but I thought it's not worth that. I myself had part-time + lack of classes due to cali budget cut which prevented me from obtaining full time status. Obviously, an advisor who doesn't take those circumstances into a consideration is ignorant. An admission director who gave a presentation, also emphasized about the courseload and how they use that as a part of indicator to see if student can survive their curriculum. Bottom line, if you think you can do well by taking 3+ science courses, by all means, go for it. I think having 3+ science per term is important.It's not as bad as it seems. I've done it, so you can too.

then again, she is only an "advisor". My view on UOP became very negative, but I thought it's not worth that. I myself had part-time + lack of classes due to cali budget cut which prevented me from obtaining full time status. Obviously, an advisor who doesn't take those circumstances into a consideration is ignorant. An admission director who gave a presentation, also emphasized about the courseload and how they use that as a part of indicator to see if student can survive their curriculum. Bottom line, if you think you can do well by taking 3+ science courses, by all means, go for it. I think having 3+ science per term is important.It's not as bad as it seems. I've done it, so you can too.

Actually, I happen to think that our advisors/admissions department is one of the best in the business. Those ladies know what they're talking about.

1. Dental school anywhere is hard.
2. Dental school in 3 years presents very significant challenges.
3. A heavy undergrad didactic courseload can help predict if a D1 will sink or swim... so if you want UoP, a light courseload may be held against you... not the end of the world if the rest of your application is good.
4. I know the application cycle is stressful and can leave a bad taste in your mouth, but the person you spoke with wasn't ignorant. The truth of the matter is that you are competing against extremely accomplished, driven and bright individuals for limited spots. I can sympathize with the facts that you had a part time job or couldn't get into the classes you wanted, but they are irrelevant to your getting into d-school. What will get one in is results, not excuses.

Last edited:
Actually, I happen to think that our advisors/admissions department is one of the best in the business. Those ladies know what they're talking about.

1. Dental school anywhere is hard.
2. Dental school in 3 years presents very significant challenges.
3. A heavy undergrad didactic courseload can help predict if a D1 will sink or swim... so if you want UoP, a light courseload may be held against you... not the end of the world if the rest of your application is good.
4. I know the application cycle is stressful and can leave a bad taste in your mouth, but the person you spoke with wasn't ignorant. The truth of the matter is that you are competing against extremely accomplished, driven and bright individuals for limited spots. I can sympathize with the facts that you had a part time job or couldn't get into the classes you wanted, but they are irrelevant to your getting into d-school. What will get one in is results, not excuses.

I agree with everything you say. However not able to do full time due to part-time job plus space limit in classes due to budget cut aren't excuses, but circumstances.