Question about upper level courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intronic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has a Biology degree requirement of 24 credit hours of upper level biology courses. I will be taking 2 of these upper level courses in third year and the rest (around 6) in my 4th year.
My question is if DO schools will not like that I do not have many "upper level" designated courses in my degree, and if it will be viewed negatively if I apply in 3rd year summer with only 2 upper level designated courses complete. This is because at my school courses like Biochem,cell bio, human physiology, pharmacology, organic chem are not considered upper level courses and these are all courses that I have already completed.

Any knowledge regarding this would be so greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The main thing is did you do well in those courses?

thank you for the reply. I was able to get A's in most of my science courses i've taken thus far except for orgo and cell bio. I'm just feeling extremely anxious that DO will not look as favorably on me despite this.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the reply. I was able to get A's in most of my science courses i've taken thus far except for orgo and cell bio

People with just the pre-reqs apply and do very well. At some schools the upper level classes are just icing on the cake.

Focus on the bigger picture and apply with a solid application.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

People with just the pre-reqs apply and do very well. At some schools the upper level classes are just icing on the cake.

Focus on the bigger picture and apply with a solid application.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you so so much. This puts my mind somewhat at ease.

I could see how depending on your major that they may hesitate to take you. Imagine something happens and there is a severe hit to the science GPA?

Note that I'm just speculating here.

Why is your username bold and blue?
This entire time I thought it just looked that way just for me to easily identify my posts (i.e. would be the same for you with your account). Maybe it's because I violated TOS once and that's how mods identify people warned? I don't know.

Last edited: