Question about USC, UoP , NYU, and NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesolic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have few questions about applying dental school.

- NYU , UoP, NOVA, USC -

Q.1

I have 50 Credits from community college and I am taking 13 credit at 4 state university . Because I just transfered from Community College, my whole GPA including this semester is 63 credits.

Here is the question.

Are the credits from Community College going to be regarded as not considerable ?

I took General Biology I , General Chemistry I, Physics I , and two semester of English, all including Labs (Except English ).. at Community College.

I am going to take every other prerequisite courses at university

Q.2

Like I said, I have 50 credits from Community College and probably will be 73 credits after the Summer Session.

Does that mean I can't apply because the time I am going to apply I will have 73 credits. Or I just have to have 90 credits before Fall 2011 ?

4 year college degree is more considerable than having just 90 credits. How is it going to be effected to ?

Does that mean that having 90 credits is not competitive ?

Q.3

If the 90 credits is going to be fine to apply, can I just take any classes besides the prerequisite courses.?

Here is my classes I took. ( Community College )

1 year Eng class.

3 hour Gen.Bio I, Chem I, Physics I

6 hours Algebra & Trig and Calculus I

3 hour History

15 Credits Design & Art class ( this because I was majoring in Design before )

These are what I took at Community College. = 50 Credits =

Classes I am taking is..

Gen Bio II , Gen Chem II , - Spring 2010

Classes I am going to take is ..

Orgarnic Chemistry I & II - Summer 2010

( At the end of the August, I will take DAT test.. )

Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Bio-Chemistry, Psychology - Fall 2010

Micro Biology, Statistics, Immunology, Physics II and any other classes - Spring 2011

More classes - Summer 2011

This is what I am planning right now..

So the Credits I will get is going to more than 90 Credits for sure before Fall 2011.

I am wondering this is going to be fine for apply Dental School.

... I won't probably be able to graduate the University though.

Could you check if this plan is fine ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

AH,,

also,

Does the Dental School really not care about wheather the student have

degree or 90 credit hour from 4 year college ?

of course having degree is prefered however, what i am asking is that

even though people have 90 credits they get accepted ? with no problem ?

i have a friend who got into NOVA without his bachelors, but this is highly unlikely and a very rare situation. I got into NOVA and waitlisted at UCSF with 60+ of comunity college credits with both gen bio and gen chem pre-requisites. Apply without degree and if you dont get in, finish the degree and apply again...

Members don't see this ad :)
so it is possible to be accepted right? even though i don't have degree

IMO, it would be very unlikely that you would get accepted without a degree when the majority of your credits are at a community college, plus you haven't taken any advanced science classes. It would definitely depend on your DAT scores and experience, ECs, etc. so if you take the DAT and get a 30 TS, and you have very good grades, then I guess apply. otherwise you should just get your degree like most everyone else, and prove through advanced science classes at a 4 year university that you can hack it in dental school.

okay, first of all it depends on schools.
go to their website and you can see their class profiles.
usc for example had 100% of students with bachelor's degrees or higher.

for those students who get in w/o bachelors at some schools, they are top students with very high gpa/dat scores that schools can firmly believe that they will perform just as well w/o the degree. not to put you down or anything, but your 70 some credits are mostly from community college credits and they do not have enough trust/faith in you to give you a shot w/o completing bachelor's degree. so in your case, i would say it's probably impossible for you to apply w/o bachelor's degree.

also each school is different with community college hours. some have limits (such as below 50 hrs, etc.), some schools have rules where you can take cc credits but not for pre-reqs., and some will accept all. you need to do your research by calling schools and looking up their websites.

getting into dental school is getting harder and harder every year. people who go to 4 year university from freshman year and finish in 4 years with 21+ DAT still struggle to get into dental school. i think you should try to focus more on how to improve your application instead of just thinking about applying at this moment. if you come from community college, you need to take enough hours at the 4 year university and make very decent grades, above 3.5+, throughout the rest of your semesters to have a decent shot (because school knows that it's piece of cake to get 4.0 at community college especially for students who will be applying to dental schools).

how does your dental experience/involvement look? any extra curricular activities such as volunteer hours or organization involvement? leadership experience? work experience? DAT score? research experience / any publication?

these things should be your top priority because you are coming from a different educational background and you need to do extra work than normal college students in order to be more competitive.