Question about verbal material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manfood.com

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using 3 different things.

well, let me start off on my rant. Dont' ever use crap from Barron's. I did the verbal and when tehy had all of the above, the answer EVERY time was all of the above. lame.

anyways, anyone find that the TPR verbal review is a little off?

and has everyone had the best success with kaplan or with EK? Just curious, I am tired of wasting my time with material that is bogus. If the TPR is off, I want to stop using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

EK is the best, most everyone here who has taken the MCAT will agree. The EK 101 Verbal book is far and away the most comparable verbal material you can find. There are 11 full length practice tests in there, they were my sole verbal prep. Honestly, most SDNers will agree with me.

crys20 said:
EK is the best, most everyone here who has taken the MCAT will agree. The EK 101 Verbal book is far and away the most comparable verbal material you can find. There are 11 full length practice tests in there, they were my sole verbal prep. Honestly, most SDNers will agree with me.

agreed. kaplan is not bad either, though i found that in some of their exams, the verbal was actually easier -- the passages were less dry and more interesting than the real ones. on the real mcat, the passages really varied - some i found really interesting and easy to concentrate on... fairly straightforward, and some of them were so bizarre and confusing!! get the EK book and just keep practicing. one other tip. FORCE yourself to be interested in whatever the main idea of the passage is. seriously. if you go "ugh this is so boring" you'll waste tons of time and effort trying to figure out the answers, whereas if you think "oh, limestone, what fun!" (there was a geology passage which confused the hell out of me on my actual mcat!), you'll be in good shape :)

myodana said:
agreed. kaplan is not bad either, though i found that in some of their exams, the verbal was actually easier -- the passages were less dry and more interesting than the real ones. on the real mcat, the passages really varied - some i found really interesting and easy to concentrate on... fairly straightforward, and some of them were so bizarre and confusing!! get the EK book and just keep practicing. one other tip. FORCE yourself to be interested in whatever the main idea of the passage is. seriously. if you go "ugh this is so boring" you'll waste tons of time and effort trying to figure out the answers, whereas if you think "oh, limestone, what fun!" (there was a geology passage which confused the hell out of me on my actual mcat!), you'll be in good shape :)

haha exactly! I try to rush into each passage with a bit of enthusiasm, as if I'm really interested in the subject and hellbent on the pursuit of knowledge haha. Role-playing ;0