Question about when to do aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is October too late to do an away in DR?

My plan was to have all my LORs in by then of course, and I would be treating that away as just a month-long audition at a place I really would like to end up.

However, there seems to be a persistent thought among my classmates that doing an away without the purpose of attaining a LOR is a huge red flag and that other schools will wonder why I did an away and didn't get a LOR.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did any away in October, and I thought it was fine. Your other schools won't know that you did an away unless you tell them.

There are other reasons for doing an away besides an LOR. Especially in DR when your opportunities to show your skills/impress are low.

The question of how much you can gain from an audition rotation in DR is a different one though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

My plan was to have all my LORs in by then of course, and I would be treating that away as just a month-long audition at a place I really would like to end up.

However, there seems to be a persistent thought among my classmates that doing an away without the purpose of attaining a LOR is a huge red flag and that other schools will wonder why I did an away and didn't get a LOR.

Thanks!
If you do an away that late, then getting a LOR would likely be pointless because most programs by then have already downloaded applications and begun to send out interview invites, so don't worry about getting the LOR it's not a red flag.

Many of my interviews were scheduled in October, but I suppose you possibly can schedule them for later. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks!
I started sept and ended halfway through October. I had to miss one interview because I refused to interview during my away. Also don't expect to get a lor fast enough. The school ended up being my first choice and I hope I match there Friday. No regrets either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.