Question about when to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to pick some brains about when would be a good time to take the MCAT. I am going to be starting my junior year and wanted to concentrate on keeping my grades up rather than worrying about the MCAT. So, my plan of action is to concentrate on knocking out the remainder of my classes successfully, and then take the first half of the year AFTER I graduate to study for the MCAT. Taking them in August of that year. Other than having a lag year before medical school, would there be any other disadvantages to this? especially from an admissions commitee point of view?

Thanks.

N.....

Members don't see this ad.

while I agree that it is important to focus on school instead of prepping for MCAT, why would you want to waste a year of "lag" and write MCAT after you graduate? Why not write it in summer? Sorry I am not American so I am not exactly sure on what junior means (3rd year?).

I wrote the MCAT after my second year of university (in the summer), after I had taken physics, physiology, and organic. Now I can apply this year (as I am doing a 3yr degree). If I don't get in I then have to do another year of something (but I'll never have to write MCAT again ;) ) But imagine if you have a lag year and don't get in, then you have another year gone.

No matter how good your MCAT score, there is always the chance that admissions go bad (i.e. people with 36 don't always get in!), so I would always plan to give yourself the most opportunities which waste the least amount of time.

bah, my writting is poor tonight, but I am tired....just assume you won't get in the first time (you probably might, but just be safe and assume not, that way you're not caught with your pants down!)

nabeel76 said:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to pick some brains about when would be a good time to take the MCAT. I am going to be starting my junior year and wanted to concentrate on keeping my grades up rather than worrying about the MCAT. So, my plan of action is to concentrate on knocking out the remainder of my classes successfully, and then take the first half of the year AFTER I graduate to study for the MCAT. Taking them in August of that year. Other than having a lag year before medical school, would there be any other disadvantages to this? especially from an admissions commitee point of view?

Thanks.

N.....

I agree with the other posters that if you are going to take a year or two off, you need to have a firm idea of what you plan to do with that time. If you know that you want to do a masters degree, or join the Peace Corps, or whatever, before med school, then it makes sense to wait. But if what you want to do is go straight to med school, purposely having a year or two with no plan is a bad idea. Once you are out of school, and you get away from the regimen of studying and testing, it gets more difficult to get back into it again. Not that it's impossible to go back, but it's definitely harder. You should try to keep your education continuous if possible for that reason.

There isn't any reason why you can't study for the MCAT while still being in school; most of us did that. Obviously the semester that you are wanting to take the test should NOT be the semester you decide to overload and take 18 credit hours. Nor should it be the semester you start working a full time job along with going to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
nabeel76 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

N.....

Don't think that it will be easier working full time and studying for the MCAT. I did it and you have no idea how hard it was managing the time. You will be required to work at least 40 hours a week or more, and on top of that you have to study at least 3-4 hours a day and attend MCAT classes which can meet anywhere from 3-4 times a week. Thats over 60 hours of work a week. I highly suggest you bang out the MCAT in school. Your schedule is more managable and you will be glad you did it.

Tooth

The normal time to take the MCAT is in April near the end of your Juinor year. One applies to medical school a year in advance. I took the MCAT in April (2004), had my application in at the end of June, and I just got an acceptance to start medical school next August (2005). That is, I'm a Senior right now and won't have a year off.

It's good to have your MCAT score when you're applying. If you take the August MCAT at the beginning of your Senior year you're gambling, as a lot of people just found out a few weeks ago. Those who took the MCAT in August just got their scores and are just beginning to get interviews. For comparison, a lot of April MCATers have already been accepted.

If you were to take the April MCAT near the end of your SENIOR year, you'd apply in June following graduation and not enter medical school until August - you'd still have to study during your Senior year and yet have one year off. Taking the August MCAT after the end of your Senior year (the first one following graduation) would put you in the middle of that same cycle for acceptance the following August. You'd be applying blind, without knowing your score.

If you wait until the April following graduation you'll have a two year intermission.

The MCAT is important. You do have to study for it, but it isn't THAT hard.

Thanks to everyone for the useful advice. I am going to cut down my work schedule over this year and use that time to study for the MCAT. I am going to plan to take it before I graduate.

Nabeel :)