Question Banks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arewestilldoingphrasing?

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting Kaplan qbank if I already use USMLE-Rx and uworld? I’m in a systems curriculum and have done Both alongside classes. Sometimes I run out of practice questions but would it be overkill? I’ve got about 9 months till step.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth getting Kaplan qbank if I already use USMLE-Rx and uworld? I’m in a systems curriculum and have done Both alongside classes. Sometimes I run out of practice questions but would it be overkill? I’ve got about 9 months till step.

To be honest Kaplan is subpar. You also probably stated using Qbanks too early. I didn't use Uworld or Rx until 2nd semester this past year and ran out about a week before Step 1.

But if you do need more questions I'd try and find someone who has a PDF of the Robbins questions, there are about 50 really hard questions for each system. In addition you can use Webpath which has about the same amount, and Tulanes website for pharm.

Agreed with above.

Personally I found Kaplan a waste of time. I figured “more questions = better” but that’s not true - BETTER questions are better. Kaplan questions are a mix of a) vague Uworld ripoffs and b) pointless “gotcha” questions that don’t actually have a learning objectives. Uworld has lots of “gotcha” questions too, but they serve valuable teaching purposes.

My advice:
Do everything you can to learn the material you’re being taught.
Skim first aid while learning the material. You should go through FA at least once, but don’t go too nuts with it.
Know everything in Uworld and pathoma inside and out.

Last edited:
Although I haven’t gotten my score back, I feel like Kaplan is really good for physiology. I wouldn’t buy the Qbank just for that, but if your school provides it (like mine did), maybe go through those. I felt RX really grilled concepts into my head and Kaplan confused me more cause of what others have said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I haven’t gotten my score back, I feel like Kaplan is really good for physiology. I wouldn’t buy the Qbank just for that, but if your school provides it (like mine did), maybe go through those. I felt RX really grilled concepts into my head and Kaplan confused me more cause of what others have said.

I don’t remember Kaplan’s physiology being all that great (by that I mean I actually don’t remember, you may be right).

You do, however, raise an important point - physiology is HUGE on step 1. Personally I think physiology (mostly cardiovascular, but also lung and kidney) is a massive weak spot in the classic Uworld/pathoma/FA/sketchy tetrad.

Kaplan is nice to have if it's already paid for. I appreciate the links back to specific places in FA and Pathoma. If it isn't already given through the school, I wouldn't sweat it.

Kaplan is nice to have if it's already paid for. I appreciate the links back to specific places in FA and Pathoma. If it isn't already given through the school, I wouldn't sweat it.

I AGREE. I did Kaplan, USMLERx and UW and i think i would have been better off doing RX a second time