Question concerning Amenities in the Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenAzn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Feb 15 I received an email concerning my status of if I got in or not...while it's pending an interview I was wondering if someone can help me with some question about some ideas about philippines living since it'll be my first time there since I was born and move to the states.

Here are some Questions I have and will cut it short at roughly 8 for now:

1) In terms of cellphones..I've heard there prepaid mins or contract like in the states...i was wondering what is your opinon on which one is better to have and which companies are good? Basically I don't want to get into a contract which has a bad reception like Sprint has sometimes in the States, while I love Verizon I just wanna know what's your opinion?..
2) In terms of cellphones..i heard something about unlimted incoming call or something..and was wonder what that means?
3) Sry last question about cellphones...is there one like verizon where your in you get unlimited to someone who has verizon as well...or like unlimited nights and weekends?
4) Is it better to buy a laptop here or over there...or do you even need to have a laptop or would a desktop pc be best?
5) What would you recomend for a first year student what type of residence should I look for?..like IE should i get temporary and then live with some classmates or should I just get a studio/1 bedroom
6) I heard the if you get into a dorm there my be curfew or some rules...while I did go live in a dorm my freshmen year in my bachelor studies...there weren't any curfew or rules...what might I have to wonder about if I choose that option?
7) In terms of banking..what would you think is the best type of bank with lots of readily available ATMS..i currently have Bank of America and want same features of an ATM almost everywhere I go, online banking where I can transfer my money between saving and checking.
8) In terms of internet...I currently use cable...what is the trend over in the philippines..i heard about these internet cafe..would one have to be looking at doing cafes or is it best to have one at your home?

Members don't see this ad.

Smart and Globe are the cell phone companies. Most people use prepaid cards from one of these two companies. Do a Google for their websites and get all the answers you want for the cell phone questions.

Few people in the PI run around with laptops like people in the states. I think you are better off with a PC. A laptop is too much of a target. It's just going to get lost or stolen.

All dorms have rules...even the one in your freshman year. Give yourself some time before school starts to look around and decide how you want to live. You don't want to be looking for new digs six weeks after school starts, when you are deep into study. Get a place close to your schol to minimize commutes.

The atms for Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) are generally quite reliable and some of them let you withdraw up to 20,000 pesos. Other banks can easily limit you to 4,000 or 6,000 peses every time. You can probably use your stateside atm card, but check with your stateside bank as to what fees they charge for the use of international atms. It may be prohibitive.

Banks in the Philippines are very, very inefficient. I guess BPI is the best of a pretty bad bunch. Metrobank has a good reputation for bonds if you just need to have some money sit in PI acount. Always have an emergency stash as the atms will ALWAYS be down (for any one of a hundred reasons) when you are down to your pocket change.

Do you have relatives in Manila who can help with some of the accomodation issues for you?

Naw I have some realtives but they aren't in my immediate family like second cousins or what not...because most of my family is over here already. Thanks for the answer to my question

Members don't see this ad :)
For all you medical students that plan to study near the university belt, and need a place to stay, please check out www.ubelt.net. It is walking distance to San Beda & FEU and not far from UST and UE. It is very secure as it is located inside the Malacanang Palace compound ( presidential palace ).

For all you medical students that plan to study near the university belt, and need a place to stay, please check out www.ubelt.net. It is walking distance to San Beda & FEU and not far from UST and UE. It is very secure as it is located inside the Malacanang Palace compound ( presidential palace ).

hello. first of all, thank you for the link to UBELT apartments. unfortunately, the site failed to mention RATE per month to stay at their apartments:D. must NOT be one of the more attractive features of the place:laugh:. heheheheh....anyway, i am focusing on UST...and wonder if you or any others on here KNOW of decent apartments like UBELT closer to UST campus. i read some older posts where foreigner is adviced to walk the area around campus of choice and inquire about rates of apt of interest. i can see how this approach can be a little nerve shattering, to say the least, for those of us used to the american life. lots of negative issues or concerns can and prolly will happen when foreigner hikes around metro manila looking for a place to stay.

thus, saipan, spartan doc, doctan, and any others on here (preferrably those that are UST med students NOW)...if you could advice or point me and other NEWBEES to the appropriate OLDER thread that has already addressed this particular question, we would greatly appreciate it.

if not...i'm hoping you and maybe others on here will be able to provide me and other fil-ams on here where the best and RECOMMENDED stay would be for those students wanting to attend or going to attend UST medical program:).

thank you in advance for your time and input and advice and recommendations. and thank you to this FORUM for all the wealth of information(s) this site has shared with the rest of us. the favor will be returned when i have acquired much knowledge living in the PI such as those (as well as, others...i'm sure) i've already mentioned above.

thank you once again.

1) In terms of cellphones..I've heard there prepaid mins or contract like in the states...i was wondering what is your opinon on which one is better to have and which companies are good? Basically I don't want to get into a contract which has a bad reception like Sprint has sometimes in the States, while I love Verizon I just wanna know what's your opinion?..
2) In terms of cellphones..i heard something about unlimted incoming call or something..and was wonder what that means?
3) Sry last question about cellphones...is there one like verizon where your in you get unlimited to someone who has verizon as well...or like unlimited nights and weekends?
4) Is it better to buy a laptop here or over there...or do you even need to have a laptop or would a desktop pc be best?
5) What would you recomend for a first year student what type of residence should I look for?..like IE should i get temporary and then live with some classmates or should I just get a studio/1 bedroom
6) I heard the if you get into a dorm there my be curfew or some rules...while I did go live in a dorm my freshmen year in my bachelor studies...there weren't any curfew or rules...what might I have to wonder about if I choose that option?
7) In terms of banking..what would you think is the best type of bank with lots of readily available ATMS..i currently have Bank of America and want same features of an ATM almost everywhere I go, online banking where I can transfer my money between saving and checking.
8) In terms of internet...I currently use cable...what is the trend over in the philippines..i heard about these internet cafe..would one have to be looking at doing cafes or is it best to have one at your home?

here is my answer:
1. GLOBE, SMART and SUNCELLULAR are the cellphone companies here..
2. SUNCELLULAR network offers that unlimited call and text at the same time.. GLOBE & SMART networks(unlimited text only)
3. what's a verizon?
4. laptop is good. it's better if u buy it there.. (where r u anyway?) not here in the philippines because i think it's a lot cheaper.
5. u should get a studio/1 bedroom.. that's my opinion.:)
6. some dorms have curfews esp. the expensive ones.. but some dorm don't have curfews..
7. Banco De Oro (BDO). they have lots of branches and ATM machines here whicj are open even on sundays!
8. We have broadbands (GLOBE, SMART, & PLDT) here.. you can have one on your room.. internet cafe's here are everywhere..u'll surely won't have a hard time finding one.

well, goodluck..:luck:

In terms of banking I find that my Commerce bank checking account charges me less for withdrawing in the Philippines compared to my Bank of America account.