Question Concerning Gram Stain Test..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this under the right section, but here goes anyway.

I have a very important question concerning a Gram Stain test I had done recently through our local hospital lab. It is my understanding that a Gram Stain is designed to determine the presence of bacteria, and to further determine if this bacteria is positive or negative. This test was done on a penile discharge swab.

My question is will this Gram Stain test detect the presence of any sperm as well? The reason I ask is because I believe I have been leaking a seminal fluid for some time now.Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome.

I would think chances are very good that you got the gram stain done because of your "seminal fluid" leak. Sounds like the drip, which is incidentally not semen, but rather infected discharge.

But to answer your question, no, the gram stain will not detect your little swimmers. It only tells you whether there are gram positive and/or gram negative bacteria (if any at all) in the sample.

I see Foxy Doxy in your future.

P.S. This forum isn't for medical advice...which your question technically isn't but it's a slippery slope.

Last edited:
SDN is not intended for patient consultation in regards to medical advice, laboratory procedure, etc. We do allow discussion of test methodology and such but not to people who register simply to find these things out for their own personal medical benefit. Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.