Cranial

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
11
0
Status
I heard good things about that place, any comments from anyone? River13, since you externed there?
 

River13

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2003
281
4
Visit site
Status
Cranial said:
I heard good things about that place, any comments from anyone? River13, since you externed there?
My impression: great broad scope training...you get everything from craniofacial to cancer...its one of the few places that does primary closure of cleft lips...plenty of trauma, plenty of OR time

I would have liked to see more implants there, and more orthognathic surgery...

The call schedule is probably one of the hardest that exists...at least it was when I was there, and I was told it wouldn't change even with them now taking 2 residents/year--Q2 for two 6 month periods...that's too much for my blood.

UNLVOMSWANNABE has externed there more recently than I...he may be able to give more updated info.
 

KY2007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
213
1
Status
I have heard references to Q2 or Q6. What does this mean?
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
It's talking about how often you take overnight call. q2 = every second day, q6 = every 6th day, etc.
 

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
510
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
River13 said:
My impression: great broad scope training...you get everything from craniofacial to cancer...its one of the few places that does primary closure of cleft lips...plenty of trauma, plenty of OR time

I would have liked to see more implants there, and more orthognathic surgery...

The call schedule is probably one of the hardest that exists...at least it was when I was there, and I was told it wouldn't change even with them now taking 2 residents/year--Q2 for two 6 month periods...that's too much for my blood.

UNLVOMSWANNABE has externed there more recently than I...he may be able to give more updated info.
Well, I don't have much else to compare it to but I thought it was a solid program. The residents are very happy and the attendings were awesome. As far as #'s go I don't have specifics but from what I heard the weak part of the program used to be at OHSU itself but now that Dr. Asael is there it is picking up. Also, one of the attending's son is doing a cosmetic fellowship right now and will join the program so that will only help the scope. Lots of cancer but free flaps are awesome surgeries.
 

omfsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
162
1
Status
UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Well, I don't have much else to compare it to but I thought it was a solid program. The residents are very happy and the attendings were awesome. As far as #'s go I don't have specifics but from what I heard the weak part of the program used to be at OHSU itself but now that Dr. Asael is there it is picking up. Also, one of the attending's son is doing a cosmetic fellowship right now and will join the program so that will only help the scope. Lots of cancer but free flaps are awesome surgeries.
One downfall, they have fellow. So who do you think actually does the surgery, not the chief. BUt, you will get the honor of mananging and rounding on these patients postop. Q 4 h flap checks are fun too.

The previous statement in no way should reflect on this program. Ive heard its really good. Its wise to consider these things when selecting which programs to apply.
 

docs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
39
0
Status
Hey,
How do you like Indiana dental school? is it a good school? how has your experience been there so far?